Abstract:We analyze a technique for unconstrained minimization without derivatives. This stems from two theorems proved by M. J. D. Powell. A particular version, which we consider in detail, is related to the Jacobi process for finding the eigensystem of a symmetric matrix, and the two processes, although different, help to illuminate one another. We study convergence of the search directions to mutual conjugacy, cases when cycling occurs and identify a broad class of ’cyclic patterns’ for which convergence to mutual conjugacy is proven.
- M. J. D. Powell, An efficient method for finding the minimum of a function of several variables without calculating derivatives, Comput. J. 7 (1964), 155–162. MR 187376, DOI 10.1093/comjnl/7.2.155
- Willard I. Zangwill, Minimizing a function without calculating derivatives, Comput. J. 10 (1967), 293–296. MR 234614, DOI 10.1093/comjnl/10.3.293
- Richard P. Brent, Algorithms for minimization without derivatives, Prentice-Hall Series in Automatic Computation, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1973. MR 0339493 N. W. BRODLIE, A New Method for Unconstrained Minimization without Evaluating Derivatives, IBM Report UKSC-0019-0019, IBM, Peterlee, United Kingdom, 1972. M. J. D. POWELL, Unconstrained Minimization Algorithms Without Computation of Derivatives, UK. A. E. A. Harwell Report HL72/1713, 1972. J. L. NAZARETH, Part I: Unified Approach to Unconstrained Minimization. Part II: Generation of Conjugate Directions for Unconstrained Minimization Without Derivatives, Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of California, Berkeley, Rep. No. 23, 1973.
- Eldon R. Hansen, On cyclic Jacobi methods, J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math. 11 (1963), 448–459. MR 156458 J. L. NAZARETH, On the Convergence of the Cyclic Jacobi Process, Argonne National Lab. Tech. Memo, ANL-AMD, 1974.
- J. H. Wilkinson, Note on the quadratic convergence of the cyclic Jacobi process, Numer. Math. 4 (1962), 296–300. MR 146954, DOI 10.1007/BF01386321
- J. H. Wilkinson, The algebraic eigenvalue problem, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1965. MR 0184422
- G. E. Forsythe and P. Henrici, The cyclic Jacobi method for computing the principal values of a complex matrix, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 94 (1960), 1–23. MR 109825, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9947-1960-0109825-2
- Peter Henrici, On the speed of convergence of cyclic and quasicyclic Jacobi methods for computing eigenvalues of Hermitian matrices, J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math. 6 (1958), 144–162. MR 95582
- H. P. M. van Kempen, On the convergence of the classical Jacobi method for real symmetric matrices with non-distinct eigenvalues, Numer. Math. 9 (1966), 11–18. MR 202290, DOI 10.1007/BF02165224
- Joel N. Franklin, Matrix theory, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1968. MR 0237517
- © Copyright 1976 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Math. Comp. 30 (1976), 115-131
- MSC: Primary 65K05
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1976-0398100-2
- MathSciNet review: 0398100