Linear Chebyshev approximation in the complex plane using Lawson’s algorithm
Authors: S. Ellacott and Jack Williams
Journal: Math. Comp. 30 (1976), 35-44
MSC: Primary 65D15
MathSciNet review: 0400652
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: In this paper we discuss the application of Lawson’s algorithm for computing best linear Chebyshev approximations to complex-valued functions. Some numerical examples are also presented.
- E. W. Cheney, Introduction to approximation theory, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York-Toronto, Ont.-London, 1966. MR 0222517
- A. K. Cline, Rate of convergence of Lawson’s algorithm, Math. Comp. 26 (1972), 167–176. MR 298872, DOI https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1972-0298872-8
- G. Golub, Numerical methods for solving linear least squares problems, Numer. Math. 7 (1965), 206–216. MR 181094, DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01436075 C. L. LAWSON, Contributions to the Theory of Linear Least Maximum Approximations, Thesis, UCLA, 1961.
- G. G. Lorentz, Approximation of functions, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York-Chicago, Ill.-Toronto, Ont., 1966. MR 0213785
- John R. Rice, The approximation of functions. Vol. 2: Nonlinear and multivariate theory, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, Mass.-London-Don Mills, Ont., 1969. MR 0244675
- John R. Rice and Karl H. Usow, The Lawson algorithm and extensions, Math. Comp. 22 (1968), 118–127. MR 232137, DOI https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1968-0232137-4
- T. J. Rivlin and H. S. Shapiro, A unified approach to certain problems of approximation and minimization, J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math. 9 (1961), 670–699. MR 133636
- Jack Williams, Numerical Chebyshev approximation in the complex plane, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 9 (1972), 638–649. MR 314232, DOI https://doi.org/10.1137/0709053
E. W. CHENEY, Introduction to Approximation Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1966. MR 36 #5568.
A. K. CLINE, "Rate of convergence of Lawson’s algorithm," Math. Comp., v. 26, 1972, pp. 167-176. MR 45 #7921.
G. H. GOLUB, "Numerical methods for solving linear least squares problems," Numer. Math., v. 7, 1965, pp. 206-216. MR 31 #5323.
C. L. LAWSON, Contributions to the Theory of Linear Least Maximum Approximations, Thesis, UCLA, 1961.
G. G. LORENTZ, Approximation of Functions, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1966. MR 35 #4642; erratum, 36, p. 1567.
J. R. RICE, The Approximation of Functions. Vol. 2: Nonlinear and Multivariate Theory, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1969. MR 39 #5989.
J. R. RICE & K. H. USOW, "The Lawson algorithm and extensions," Math. Comp., v. 22, 1968, pp. 118-127. MR 38 #463.
T. J. RIVLIN & H. S. SHAPIRO, "A unified approach to certain problems of approximation and minimization," J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math., v. 9, 1961, pp. 670-699. MR 24 #A3462.
J. WILLIAMS, "Numerical Chebyshev approximations in the complex plane," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., v. 9, 1972, pp. 638-649. MR 47 #2784.
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65D15
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65D15