Abstract:The absolute and relative stability of linear multistep methods for a finite step size is studied for delay differential equations. The differential equations are assumed linear and the delays a constant integer multiple of the step size. Computable conditions for stability are developed for scalar equations. Plots of the stability regions for several common multistep methods are included. For the integration methods considered, the stability regions for delay differential equations are significantly different from the stability regions for ordinary differential equations.
- P. E. Chase, Stability properties of predictor-corrector methods for ordinary differential equations, J. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 9 (1962), 457–468. MR 163436, DOI 10.1145/321138.321143
- Robert R. Brown, James D. Riley, and Morris M. Bennett, Stability properties of Adams-Moulton type methods, Math. Comp. 19 (1965), 90–96. MR 178572, DOI 10.1090/S0025-5718-1965-0178572-1
- Anthony Ralston, Relative stability in the numerical solution of ordinary differential equations, SIAM Rev. 7 (1965), 114–125. MR 178574, DOI 10.1137/1007011
- R. W. Hamming, Stable predictor-corrector methods for ordinary differential equations, J. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 6 (1959), 37–47. MR 102179, DOI 10.1145/320954.320958
- William B. Gragg and Hans J. Stetter, Generalized multistep predictor-corrector methods, J. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 11 (1964), 188–209. MR 161476, DOI 10.1145/321217.321223
- R. K. Brayton and R. A. Willoughby, On the numerical integration of a symmetric system of difference-differential equations of neutral type, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 18 (1967), 182–189. MR 213061, DOI 10.1016/0022-247X(67)90191-6 L. TAVERNINI, Numerical Methods for Volterra Functional Differential Equations, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Wisconsin, 1969. M. A. FELDSTEIN, Discretization Methods for Retarded Ordinary Differential Equations, Ph. D. Thesis, University of California, Los Angeles, 1964. M. N. SPYKER, Stability and Convergence of Finite-Difference Methods, Ph. D. Thesis, Centraal-Reken-Instituul, Ryksuniversiteil, Leiden, The Netherlands, 1969. L. F. WIEDERHOLT, Numerical Integration of Delay Differential Equations, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Wisconsin, 1970.
- Peter Henrici, Discrete variable methods in ordinary differential equations, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York-London, 1962. MR 0135729
- Roger L. Crane and Robert J. Lambert, Stability of a generalized corrector formula, J. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 9 (1962), 104–117. MR 135233, DOI 10.1145/321105.321116
- A. Halanay, Differential equations: Stability, oscillations, time lags, Academic Press, New York-London, 1966. MR 0216103
- © Copyright 1976 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Math. Comp. 30 (1976), 283-290
- MSC: Primary 65Q05; Secondary 65L05
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1976-0398132-4
- MathSciNet review: 0398132