Abstract:We derive and analyze several methods for systems of hyperbolic equations with wide ranges of signal speeds. These techniques are also useful for problems whose coefficients have large mean values about which they oscillate with small amplitude. Our methods are based on additive splittings of the operators into components that can be approximated independently on the different time scales, some of which are sometimes treated exactly. The efficiency of the splitting methods is seen to depend on the error incurred in splitting the exact solution operator. This is analyzed and a technique is discussed for reducing this error through a simple change of variables. A procedure for generating the appropriate boundary data for the intermediate solutions is also presented.
- Saul Abarbanel and David Gottlieb, Optimal time splitting for two- and three-dimensional Navier-Stokes equations with mixed derivatives, J. Comput. Phys. 41 (1981), no. 1, 1–33. MR 624738, DOI 10.1016/0021-9991(81)90077-2
- G. Browning, A. Kasahara, and H.-O. Kreiss, Initialization of the primitive equations by the bounded derivative method, J. Atmospheric Sci. 37 (1980), no. 7, 1424–1436. MR 620275, DOI 10.1175/1520-0469(1980)037<1424:IOTPEB>2.0.CO;2
- J. Certaine, The solution of ordinary differential equations with large time constants, Mathematical methods for digital computers, Wiley, New York, 1960, pp. 128–132. MR 0117917
- Björn Engquist, Bertil Gustafsson, and Joop Vreeburg, Numerical solution of a PDE system describing a catalytic converter, J. Comput. Phys. 27 (1978), no. 3, 295–314. MR 488887, DOI 10.1016/0021-9991(78)90012-8 A. J. Gadd, "A split explicit integration scheme for numerical weather prediction," Quart. J. Roy. Met. Soc., v. 104, 1978, pp. 569-582.
- A. R. Gourlay, Splitting methods for time dependent partial differential equations, The state of the art in numerical analysis (Proc. Conf., Univ. York, Heslington, 1976) Academic Press, London, 1977, pp. 757–796. MR 0451759
- Bertil Gustafsson, The convergence rate for difference approximations to mixed initial boundary value problems, Math. Comput. 29 (1975), 396–406. MR 0386296, DOI 10.1090/S0025-5718-1975-0386296-7
- Bertil Gustafsson, Heinz-Otto Kreiss, and Arne Sundström, Stability theory of difference approximations for mixed initial boundary value problems. II, Math. Comp. 26 (1972), 649–686. MR 341888, DOI 10.1090/S0025-5718-1972-0341888-3
- Heinz-Otto Kreiss, Problems with different time scales for ordinary differential equations, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 16 (1979), no. 6, 980–998. MR 551320, DOI 10.1137/0716072
- Heinz-Otto Kreiss, Problems with different time scales for partial differential equations, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 33 (1980), no. 3, 399–439. MR 562742, DOI 10.1002/cpa.3160330310 J. D. Lawson & J. Ll. Morris, A Review of Splitting Methods, Report CS-74-09, Department of Applied Analysis and Computer Science, University of Waterloo, 1974. G. Majda, Filtering Techniques for Oscillatory Stiff Ordinary Differential Equations, Thesis, New York University.
- A. R. Mitchell, Computational methods in partial differential equations, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., London-New York-Sydney, 1969. MR 0281366
- R. E. O’Malley Jr. and L. R. Anderson, Singular perturbations, order reduction, and decoupling of large scale systems, Numerical analysis of singular perturbation problems (Proc. Conf., Math. Inst., Catholic Univ., Nijmegen, 1978) Academic Press, London-New York, 1979, pp. 317–338. MR 556524
- Robert D. Richtmyer and K. W. Morton, Difference methods for initial-value problems, 2nd ed., Interscience Tracts in Pure and Applied Mathematics, No. 4, Interscience Publishers John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York-London-Sydney, 1967. MR 0220455
- Gilbert Strang, On the construction and comparison of difference schemes, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 5 (1968), 506–517. MR 235754, DOI 10.1137/0705041 J. Strikwerda, A Time-Split Difference Scheme for the Compressible Navier-Stokes Equations With Applications to Flows in Slotted Nozzles, ICASE Report No. 80-27, 1980. E. Turkel & G. Zwas, "Explicit large time-step schemes for the shallow water equations," AICA Proc., No. 3, 1979, pp. 65-69.
- © Copyright 1983 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Math. Comp. 40 (1983), 469-497
- MSC: Primary 65M05
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1983-0689466-8
- MathSciNet review: 689466