On the convergence properties of the quadrilateral elements of Sander and Beckers
Author: Zhong Ci Shi
Journal: Math. Comp. 42 (1984), 493-504
MSC: Primary 65N30; Secondary 73K25
MathSciNet review: 736448
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: A class of nonconforming quadrilateral membrane elements, introduced by Sander and Beckers, is discussed in all details. It is proved that two elements that do not pass the patch test may still yield convergence under a suitable condition on mesh subdivisions, whereas one such element is found to be divergent for all mesh subdivisions. All other finite elements in this class that pass the patch test are convergent. The mathematical analysis provides a clear explanation of the convergence behavior appearing in the numerical examples of Sander and Beckers.
-  Philippe G. Ciarlet, The finite element method for elliptic problems, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam-New York-Oxford, 1978. Studies in Mathematics and its Applications, Vol. 4. MR 0520174
-  Bruce M. Irons and Abdur Razzaque, Experience with the patch test for convergence of finite elements, The mathematical foundations of the finite element method with applications to partial differential equations (Proc. Sympos., Univ. Maryland, Baltimore, Md., 1972) Academic Press, New York, 1972, pp. 557–587. MR 0423839
-  G. Sander and P. Beckers, The influence of the choice of connectors in the finite element method, Mathematical aspects of finite element methods (Proc. Conf., Consiglio Naz. delle Ricerche (C.N.R.), Rome, 1975) Springer, Berlin, 1977, pp. 316–342. Lecture Notes in Math., Vol. 606. MR 0502734
-  Zhong Ci Shi, An explicit analysis of Stummel’s patch test examples, Internat. J. Numer. Methods Engrg. 20 (1984), no. 7, 1233–1246. MR 751335, https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620200705
-  F. Stummel, "The limitations of the patch test," Internat. J. Numer. Methods Engrg, v. 15, 1980, pp. 177-188.
-  Friedrich Stummel, The generalized patch test, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 16 (1979), no. 3, 449–471. MR 530481, https://doi.org/10.1137/0716037
-  Friedrich Stummel, Basic compactness properties of nonconforming and hybrid finite element spaces, RAIRO Anal. Numér. 14 (1980), no. 1, 81–115 (English, with French summary). MR 566091
- P. G. Ciarlet, The Finite Element Method for Elliptic Problems, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1978. MR 0520174 (58:25001)
- B. M. Irons & A. Razzaque, Experience With the Patch Test for Convergence of Finite Elements, Proc. Sympos. on Mathematical Foundations of the Finite Element Method with Application to Partial Differential Operators (Baltimore 1972), (A. K. Aziz, ed.), Academic Press, New York, 1972, pp. 557-587. MR 0423839 (54:11813)
- G. Sander & P. Beckers, "The influence of the choice of connectors in the finite element method," Internat. J. Numer. Methods Engrg., v. 11, 1977, pp. 1491-1505. MR 0502734 (58:19666)
- Zhong-CI Shi, "An explicit analysis of Stummel's patch test examples," Internat. J. Numer. Methods Engrg. (To appear.) MR 751335 (85g:65096)
- F. Stummel, "The limitations of the patch test," Internat. J. Numer. Methods Engrg, v. 15, 1980, pp. 177-188.
- F. Stummel, "The generalized patch test," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., v. 16, 1979, pp. 449-471. MR 530481 (80e:65106)
- F. Stummel, "Basic compactness properties of nonconforming and hybrid finite element spaces," RAIRO Anal. Numér., v. 4, 1980, pp. 81-115. MR 566091 (81h:65058)