A complete axiomatization of computer arithmetic
Author: Richard Mansfield
Journal: Math. Comp. 42 (1984), 623-635
MSC: Primary 65G99; Secondary 03B70, 03C70, 68Q40
MathSciNet review: 736458
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: We define an axiom system for rounded arithmetic to be complete if we can recover from any model of the axioms the exact algebra from whence it came. A complete set of axioms is given for rounded addition and multiplication.
-  Donald E. Knuth, The art of computer programming. Vol. 2, 2nd ed., Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, Mass., 1981. Seminumerical algorithms; Addison-Wesley Series in Computer Science and Information Processing. MR 633878
-  Ulrich W. Kulisch and Willard L. Miranker, Computer arithmetic in theory and practice, Academic Press, Inc. [Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers], New York-London, 1981. Computer Science and Applied Mathematics. MR 606741
-  L. B. Rall, Accurate Arithmetic for Scientific Computation, Proceedings of the 1982 Army Numerical Analysis and Computer Conference, 1982.
-  J. H. Wilkinson, Rounding errors in algebraic processes, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1963. MR 0161456
- Donald E. Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 2, Addison-Wesley, Menlo Park, Calif., 1969. MR 633878 (83i:68003)
- U. W. Kulisch & W. L. Miranker, Computer Arithmetic in Theory and Practice, Academic Press, New York, 1981. MR 606741 (83b:65046)
- L. B. Rall, Accurate Arithmetic for Scientific Computation, Proceedings of the 1982 Army Numerical Analysis and Computer Conference, 1982.
- J. H. Wilkenson, Rounding Errors in Algebraic Processes, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1963. MR 0161456 (28:4661)