Abstract:The two-sided Lanczos algorithm sometimes suffers from serious breakdowns. These occur when the associated moment matrix does not permit triangular factorization. We modify the algorithm slightly so that it corresponds to using a $2 \times 2$ pivot in triangular factorization whenever a $1 \times 1$ pivot would be dangerous. The likelihood of breakdown is greatly reduced. The price paid is that the tridiagonal matrix produced by the algorithm now has bumps whenever a $2 \times 2$ pivot is used. Experiments with several versions of the algorithm on a variety of matrices are described, including some large problems arising in the study of plasma instability.
- Chandler Davis and W. M. Kahan, The rotation of eigenvectors by a perturbation. III, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 7 (1970), 1–46. MR 264450, DOI 10.1137/0707001 W. Gragg, Notes from a "Kentucky Workshop" on the moment problem and indefinite metrics.
- Alston S. Householder, The theory of matrices in numerical analysis, Blaisdell Publishing Co. [Ginn and Co.], New York-Toronto-London, 1964. MR 0175290
- W. Kahan, B. N. Parlett, and E. Jiang, Residual bounds on approximate eigensystems of nonnormal matrices, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 19 (1982), no. 3, 470–484. MR 656463, DOI 10.1137/0719030
- Cornelius Lanczos, An iteration method for the solution of the eigenvalue problem of linear differential and integral operators, J. Research Nat. Bur. Standards 45 (1950), 255–282. MR 0042791, DOI 10.6028/jres.045.026
- Beresford Parlett, Laguerre’s method applied to the matrix eigenvalue problem, Math. Comp. 18 (1964), 464–485. MR 165668, DOI 10.1090/S0025-5718-1964-0165668-2
- Beresford N. Parlett, The symmetric eigenvalue problem, Prentice-Hall Series in Computational Mathematics, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1980. MR 570116
- J. R. Bunch and B. N. Parlett, Direct methods for solving symmetric indefinite systems of linear equations, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 8 (1971), 639–655. MR 305564, DOI 10.1137/0708060
- Y. Saad, Variations on Arnoldi’s method for computing eigenelements of large unsymmetric matrices, Linear Algebra Appl. 34 (1980), 269–295. MR 591435, DOI 10.1016/0024-3795(80)90169-X
- Y. Saad, The Lanczos biorthogonalization algorithm and other oblique projection methods for solving large unsymmetric systems, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 19 (1982), no. 3, 485–506. MR 656464, DOI 10.1137/0719031 D. R. Taylor, Analysis of the Look Ahead Lanczos Algorithm, Ph.D. thesis, University of California, Berkeley, 1982.
- J. H. Wilkinson, The algebraic eigenvalue problem, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1965. MR 0184422
- © Copyright 1985 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Math. Comp. 44 (1985), 105-124
- MSC: Primary 65F15
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1985-0771034-2
- MathSciNet review: 771034