Abstract:By evaluating elliptic integrals in terms of standard R-functions instead of Legendre’s integrals, many (in one case 144) formulas in previous tables are unified. The present table includes only integrals of the first and second kinds having integrands with real singular points. The 216 integrals of this type listed in Gradshteyn and Ryzhik’s table constitute a small fraction of the special cases of 13 integrals evaluated here. The interval of integration is not required, as it is in previous tables, to begin or end at a singular point of the integrand. Fortran codes for the standard R-functions are included in a Supplement.
- Paul F. Byrd and Morris D. Friedman, Handbook of elliptic integrals for engineers and scientists, Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, Band 67, Springer-Verlag, New York-Heidelberg, 1971. Second edition, revised. MR 0277773
- Billie Chandler Carlson, Special functions of applied mathematics, Academic Press [Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers], New York-London, 1977. MR 0590943
- B. C. Carlson, Elliptic integrals of the first kind, SIAM J. Math. Anal. 8 (1977), no. 2, 231–242. MR 430341, DOI 10.1137/0508016
- B. C. Carlson, Short proofs of three theorems on elliptic integrals, SIAM J. Math. Anal. 9 (1978), no. 3, 524–528. MR 473247, DOI 10.1137/0509033
- B. C. Carlson, Computing elliptic integrals by duplication, Numer. Math. 33 (1979), no. 1, 1–16. MR 545738, DOI 10.1007/BF01396491 B. C. Carlson & Elaine M. Notis, "ALGORITHM 577, Algorithms for incomplete elliptic integrals," ACM Trans. Math. Software, v. 7, 1981, pp. 398-403. I. S. Gradshteyn & I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, Academic Press, New York, 1980. D. H. Lehmer, "The lemniscate constant," Math. Comp., v. 3, 1948/49, pp. 550-551.
- A. P. Prudnikov, Yu. A. Brychkov, and O. I. Marichev, Integrals and series. Vol. 1, Gordon & Breach Science Publishers, New York, 1986. Elementary functions; Translated from the Russian and with a preface by N. M. Queen. MR 874986
- John Todd, The lemniscate constants, Comm. ACM 18 (1975), 14–19; corrigendum, ibid. 18 (1975), no. 8, 462. Collection of articles honoring Alston S. Householder. MR 0375745, DOI 10.1145/360569.360580
- D. G. Zill and B. C. Carlson, Symmetric elliptic integrals of the third kind, Math. Comp. 24 (1970), 199–214. MR 262553, DOI 10.1090/S0025-5718-1970-0262553-5
- © Copyright 1987 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Math. Comp. 49 (1987), 595-606
- MSC: Primary 65A05; Secondary 33A25, 65V05
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1987-0906192-1
- MathSciNet review: 906192