Abstract:A numerical description of an algebraic subvariety of projective space is given by a general linear section, called a witness set. For a subvariety of a product of projective spaces (a multiprojective variety), the corresponding numerical description is given by a witness collection, whose structure is more involved. We build on recent work to develop a toolkit for the numerical manipulation of multiprojective varieties that operates on witness collections and to use this toolkit in an algorithm for numerical irreducible decomposition of multiprojective varieties. The toolkit and decomposition algorithm are illustrated throughout in a series of examples.
- F. Castillo, Y. Cid-Ruiz, B. Li, J. Montaño, and N. Zhang, When are multidegrees positive?, arXiv:2005.07808, 2020.
- Timothy Duff, Cvetelina Hill, Anders Jensen, Kisun Lee, Anton Leykin, and Jeff Sommars, Solving polynomial systems via homotopy continuation and monodromy, IMA J. Numer. Anal. 39 (2019), no. 3, 1421–1446. MR 3984062, DOI 10.1093/imanum/dry017
- William Fulton, Intersection theory, Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete (3) [Results in Mathematics and Related Areas (3)], vol. 2, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1984. MR 732620, DOI 10.1007/978-3-662-02421-8
- Joe Harris, Algebraic geometry, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 133, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1992. A first course. MR 1182558, DOI 10.1007/978-1-4757-2189-8
- J. D. Hauenstein and J. I. Rodriguez, Multiprojective witness sets and a trace test, Advances in Geometry, to appear.
- Jonathan D. Hauenstein, Samantha N. Sherman, and Charles W. Wampler, Exceptional Stewart-Gough platforms, Segre embeddings, and the special Euclidean group, SIAM J. Appl. Algebra Geom. 2 (2018), no. 1, 179–205. MR 3773756, DOI 10.1137/17M1114284
- Jonathan D. Hauenstein, Andrew J. Sommese, and Charles W. Wampler, Regeneration homotopies for solving systems of polynomials, Math. Comp. 80 (2011), no. 273, 345–377. MR 2728983, DOI 10.1090/S0025-5718-2010-02399-3
- Jean-Pierre Jouanolou, Théorèmes de Bertini et applications, Progress in Mathematics, vol. 42, Birkhäuser Boston, Inc., Boston, MA, 1983 (French). MR 725671
- Anton Leykin, Jose Israel Rodriguez, and Frank Sottile, Trace test, Arnold Math. J. 4 (2018), no. 1, 113–125. MR 3810571, DOI 10.1007/s40598-018-0084-3
- Ezra Miller and Bernd Sturmfels, Combinatorial commutative algebra, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 227, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2005. MR 2110098
- Alexander Morgan, Solving polynomial systems using continuation for engineering and scientific problems, Classics in Applied Mathematics, vol. 57, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Philadelphia, PA, 2009. Reprint of the 1987 original [ MR1049872]; Pages 304–534: computer programs section, also available as a separate file online. MR 3396207, DOI 10.1137/1.9780898719031.pt1
- Alexander Morgan and Andrew Sommese, A homotopy for solving general polynomial systems that respects $m$-homogeneous structures, Appl. Math. Comput. 24 (1987), no. 2, 101–113. MR 914806, DOI 10.1016/0096-3003(87)90063-4
- James Oxley, Matroid theory, 2nd ed., Oxford Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 21, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2011. MR 2849819, DOI 10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198566946.001.0001
- Alexander Postnikov, Permutohedra, associahedra, and beyond, Int. Math. Res. Not. IMRN 6 (2009), 1026–1106. MR 2487491, DOI 10.1093/imrn/rnn153
- Andrew J. Sommese and Jan Verschelde, Numerical homotopies to compute generic points on positive dimensional algebraic sets, J. Complexity 16 (2000), no. 3, 572–602. Complexity theory, real machines, and homotopy (Oxford, 1999). MR 1787886, DOI 10.1006/jcom.2000.0554
- Andrew J. Sommese, Jan Verschelde, and Charles W. Wampler, Numerical decomposition of the solution sets of polynomial systems into irreducible components, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 38 (2001), no. 6, 2022–2046. MR 1856241, DOI 10.1137/S0036142900372549
- A. J. Sommese, J. Verschelde, and C. W. Wampler, Using monodromy to decompose solution sets of polynomial systems into irreducible components, Applications of algebraic geometry to coding theory, physics and computation (Eilat, 2001) NATO Sci. Ser. II Math. Phys. Chem., vol. 36, Kluwer Acad. Publ., Dordrecht, 2001, pp. 297–315. MR 1866906
- Andrew J. Sommese, Jan Verschelde, and Charles W. Wampler, Symmetric functions applied to decomposing solution sets of polynomial systems, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 40 (2002), no. 6, 2026–2046 (2003). MR 1974173, DOI 10.1137/S0036142901397101
- Andrew J. Sommese and Charles W. Wampler II, The numerical solution of systems of polynomials, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Hackensack, NJ, 2005. Arising in engineering and science. MR 2160078, DOI 10.1142/9789812567727
- Andrew J. Sommese and Charles W. Wampler, Exceptional sets and fiber products, Found. Comput. Math. 8 (2008), no. 2, 171–196. MR 2407030, DOI 10.1007/s10208-007-0230-5
- Daniel J. Bates, Jonathan D. Hauenstein, Timothy M. McCoy, Chris Peterson, and Andrew J. Sommese, Recovering exact results from inexact numerical data in algebraic geometry, Exp. Math. 22 (2013), no. 1, 38–50. MR 3038781, DOI 10.1080/10586458.2013.737640
- Charles W. Wampler and Andrew J. Sommese, Numerical algebraic geometry and algebraic kinematics, Acta Numer. 20 (2011), 469–567. MR 2805156, DOI 10.1017/S0962492911000067
- Jonathan D. Hauenstein
- Affiliation: Department of Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556
- MR Author ID: 832839
- ORCID: 0000-0002-9252-8210
- Email: email@example.com
- Anton Leykin
- Affiliation: School of Mathematics, Georgia Institute of Technology, 686 Cherry Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0160
- MR Author ID: 687160
- ORCID: 0000-0002-9216-3514
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jose Israel Rodriguez
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706
- ORCID: 0000-0003-3140-9944
- Email: Jose@math.wisc.edu
- Frank Sottile
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 77843
- MR Author ID: 355336
- ORCID: 0000-0003-0087-7120
- Email: email@example.com
- Received by editor(s): August 6, 2019
- Received by editor(s) in revised form: April 23, 2020
- Published electronically: October 2, 2020
- Additional Notes: The research of the first author was supported in part by NSF grant CCF-1812746.
The research of the second author was supported in part by NSF grant DMS-1151297.
The research of the third author was supported in part by NSF grant DMS-1402545.
The research of the fourth author was supported in part by NSF grant DMS-1501370.
- © Copyright 2020 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Math. Comp. 90 (2021), 413-440
- MSC (2010): Primary 65H10
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/mcom/3566
- MathSciNet review: 4166467