The automorphism group of a product of graphs
Author: Donald J. Miller
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 25 (1970), 24-28
MSC: Primary 05.62
MathSciNet review: 0262116
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: In a recent paper we showed that every connected graph can be written as a weak cartesian product of a family of indecomposable rooted graphs and that this decomposition is unique to within isomorphisms. Using this unique prime factorization theorem we prove that if a graph $X$ can be written as a product of connected rooted graphs, which are pairwise relatively prime, then the automorphism group of $X$ is isomorphic to the restricted direct product of the automorphism groups of the factors with prescribed subgroups the isotropy groups of the factors at the roots. This is a generalization of Sabidussi’s theorem for cartesian multiplication.
- Wilfried Imrich, Über das schwache Kartesische Produkt von Graphen, J. Combinatorial Theory Ser. B 11 (1971), 1–16 (German, with English summary). MR 280401, DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/0095-8956%2871%2990008-6
- A. G. Kurosh, The theory of groups, Chelsea Publishing Co., New York, 1960. Translated from the Russian and edited by K. A. Hirsch. 2nd English ed. 2 volumes. MR 0109842
- Donald J. Miller, Weak cartesian product of graphs, Colloq. Math. 21 (1970), 55–74. MR 274327, DOI https://doi.org/10.4064/cm-21-1-55-74
- Gert Sabidussi, Graph multiplication, Math. Z. 72 (1959/60), 446–457. MR 209177, DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01162967
- Gert Sabidussi, Vertex-transitive graphs, Monatsh. Math. 68 (1964), 426–438. MR 175815, DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01304186
- N. Vilenkin, On direct decompositions of topological groups, Rec. Math. [Mat. Sbornik] N. S. 19(61) (1946), 85–154 (Russian, with English summary). MR 0017283
W. Imrich, Über das schwache kartesische Product von Graphen, J. Combinatorial Theory (to appear).
A. Kuroš, Theory of groups. Vol. I, 2nd ed., GITTL, Moscow, 1953; English transl., Chelsea, New York, 1960. MR 15, 501; MR 22 #727.
D. J. Miller, Weak Cartesian product of graphs, Colloq. Math. (to appear).
G. Sabidussi, Graph multiplication, Math. Z. 72 (1959/60), 446-457. MR 35 #80.
---, Vertex-transitive graphs, Monatsh. Math. 68 (1964), 426-438. MR 31 #91.
N. Ja. Vilenkin, Direct decompositions of topological groups. I, Mat. Sb. 19 (61) (1946), 85-154; English transl., Amer. Math. Soc. Transl. (1) 8 (1962), 78-154. MR 8, 132.
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 05.62
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 05.62
Keywords: Automorphism group, weak cartesian product of graphs, cartesian product of graphs, restricted direct product of groups, sum of graphs
Article copyright: © Copyright 1970 American Mathematical Society