Cyclotomic splitting fields
Author: Murray M. Schacher
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 25 (1970), 630-633
MSC: Primary 12.10
MathSciNet review: 0257037
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: Suppose $k$ is an algebraic number field and $D$ a finite-dimensional central division algebra over $k$. It is well known that $D$ has infinitely many maximal subfields which are cyclic extensions of $k$. From the point of view of group representations, however, the natural splitting fields are the cyclotomic ones. Accordingly it has been conjectured that $D$ must have a cyclotomic splitting field which contains a maximal subfield. The aim of this paper is to show that the conjucture is false; we will construct a counter-example of exponent $p$, one for every prime $p$.
- A. A. Albert, On $p$-adic fields and rational division algebras, Ann. of Math. (2) 41 (1940), 674–693. MR 2861, DOI https://doi.org/10.2307/1968740
- E. Artin and J. Tate, Class field theory, W. A. Benjamin, Inc., New York-Amsterdam, 1968. MR 0223335
- Murray M. Schacher, Subfields of division rings. I, J. Algebra 9 (1968), 451–477. MR 227224, DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-8693%2868%2990015-X
- Jean-Pierre Serre, Corps locaux, Publications de l’Institut de Mathématique de l’Université de Nancago, VIII, Actualités Sci. Indust., No. 1296. Hermann, Paris, 1962 (French). MR 0150130
- Edwin Weiss, Algebraic number theory, McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., New York-San Francisco-Toronto-London, 1963. MR 0159805
A. A. Albert, On $p$-adic fields and rational division algebras, Ann. of Math. (2) 41 (1940), 674-693. MR 2, 123.
E. Artin and J. Tate, Class field theory, Benjamin, New York, 1968. MR 36 #6383.
M. Schacher, Subfields of division rings. I, J. Algebra 9 (1968), 451-477. MR 37 #2809.
J. P. Serre, Corps locaux, Actualités Sci. Indust., no. 1296, Hermann, Paris, 1962. MR 27 #133.
E. Weiss, Algebraic number theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1963. MR 28 #3021.
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 12.10
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 12.10