Contracted ideals and purity for ring extensions
Authors: J. W. Brewer and D. L. Costa
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 53 (1975), 271-276
MSC: Primary 13B99
MathSciNet review: 0384774
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: In this paper an example is given of a pair of commutative noetherian rings with a finite -module and for each ideal of , but having the property that is not a pure sequence of -modules. Purity of the sequence is equivalent to being ``ideally closed'' in an indeterminate. Therefore, the example renders appealing the proposition that for noetherian and a noetherian torsion-free -algebra containing , if for each non-zero-divisor , then the extension has the same properties. Finally, it is also shown that for noetherian and pure, with an -algebra, then is pure in for each positive integer .
-  E. Enochs, On absolutely pure modules (preprint).
-  Robert Gilmer and Joe Mott, Some results on contracted ideals, Duke Math. J. 37 (1970), 751–767. MR 268168
-  Irving Kaplansky, Commutative rings, Allyn and Bacon, Inc., Boston, Mass., 1970. MR 0254021
-  Stephen McAdam, Going down in polynomial rings, Canadian J. Math. 23 (1971), 704–711. MR 280482, https://doi.org/10.4153/CJM-1971-079-5
-  Masayoshi Nagata, Local rings, Interscience Tracts in Pure and Applied Mathematics, No. 13, Interscience Publishers a division of John Wiley & Sons New York-London, 1962. MR 0155856
-  Joseph J. Rotman, Notes on homological algebras, Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York-Toronto, Ont.-London, 1970. Van Nostrand Reinhold Mathematical Studies, No. 26. MR 0409590
- E. Enochs, On absolutely pure modules (preprint).
- R. W. Gilmer, Jr. and J. Mott, Some results on contracted ideals, Duke Math. J. 37 (1970), 751-767. MR 42 #3067. MR 0268168 (42:3067)
- I. Kaplansky, Commutative rings, Allyn and Bacon, Boston, Mass., 1970. MR 40 #7234. MR 0254021 (40:7234)
- S. McAdam, Going down in polynomial rings, Canad. J. Math. 23 (1971), 704-711. MR 43 #6202. MR 0280482 (43:6202)
- M. Nagata, Local rings, Interscience Tracts in Pure and Appl. Math., no. 13, Interscience, New York, 1962. MR 27 #5790. MR 0155856 (27:5790)
- J. J. Rotman, Notes on homological algebra, Van Nostrand Reinhold Math. Studies, no. 26, Van Nostrand, New York, 1970. MR 0409590 (53:13342)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 13B99
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 13B99