Abstract:Except in one dimension, strictly incoming waves cannot be propagated by the wave equation with dissipative boundary conditions so that they disappear asymptotically in forward time.
Chong Chan, The scattering matrix for the acoustic equation in an exterior domain with dissipative boundary conditions, Ph.D. Dissertation, Stanford Univ., Stanford, Calif., 1974.
- Peter D. Lax and Ralph S. Phillips, Scattering theory, Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 26, Academic Press, New York-London, 1967. MR 0217440
- P. D. Lax and R. S. Phillips, Scattering theory for the acoustic equation in an even number of space dimensions, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 22 (1972/73), 101–134. MR 304882, DOI 10.1512/iumj.1972.22.22011
- P. D. Lax and R. S. Phillips, Scattering theory for dissipative hyperbolic systems, J. Functional Analysis 14 (1973), 172–235. MR 0353016, DOI 10.1016/0022-1236(73)90049-9
- Béla Sz.-Nagy and Ciprian Foiaş, Harmonic analysis of operators on Hilbert space, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam-London; American Elsevier Publishing Co., Inc., New York; Akadémiai Kiadó, Budapest, 1970. Translated from the French and revised. MR 0275190
- © Copyright 1976 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 60 (1976), 129-133
- MSC: Primary 35P25
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1976-0420028-1
- MathSciNet review: 0420028