Abstract:Etgen and Pawlowski have recently given criteria for oscillation of matrix differential equations which involve the value of positive linear functionals on the matrices appearing in a matrix differential equation. We characterize these functionals and indicate relationships to eigenvalue criteria for oscillation. Our results are also useful for the detection of the oscillation of particular matrix differential equations.
- Richard Bellman, Introduction to matrix analysis, McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., New York-Toronto-London, 1960. MR 0122820
- Garret J. Etgen and James F. Pawlowski, A comparison theorem and oscillation criteria for second order differential systems, Pacific J. Math. 72 (1977), no. 1, 59–69. MR 450675
- A. G. Kartsatos, Oscillation of nonlinear systems of matrix differential equations, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 30 (1971), 97–101. MR 280798, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9939-1971-0280798-8
- A. G. Kartsatos and T. Walters, Origins of oscillation criteria of operator differential equations in Hilbert space, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 67 (1979), no. 1, 12–16. MR 524459, DOI 10.1016/0022-247X(79)90003-9 K. Kreith, Oscillation theory, Lecture Notes in Math., vol. 324, Springer-Verlag, Berlin and New York, 1973.
- Charles E. Rickart, General theory of Banach algebras, The University Series in Higher Mathematics, D. Van Nostrand Co., Inc., Princeton, N.J.-Toronto-London-New York, 1960. MR 0115101
- Donald F. St. Mary, On transformation and oscillation of linear differential systems, Canadian J. Math. 29 (1977), no. 2, 392–399. MR 427744, DOI 10.4153/CJM-1977-042-8
- C. A. Swanson, Comparison and oscillation theory of linear differential equations, Mathematics in Science and Engineering, Vol. 48, Academic Press, New York-London, 1968. MR 0463570
- E. C. Tomastik, Oscillation of nonlinear matrix differential equations of second order, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 19 (1968), 1427–1431. MR 232046, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9939-1968-0232046-2
- E. C. Tomastik, Oscillation of systems of second order differential equations, J. Differential Equations 9 (1971), 436–442. MR 274863, DOI 10.1016/0022-0396(71)90016-7
- © Copyright 1980 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 78 (1980), 198-202
- MSC: Primary 34C10; Secondary 34G10
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1980-0550493-1
- MathSciNet review: 550493