Addendum: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 118 (1993), 331.
Abstract:A theorem of Ginn and Moss [G-M] states that a right finitely embedded (= with finite essential right socle) two-sided Noetherian ring is Artinian. An example of Schelter and Small [S-S] can be applied to show that the theorem fails for right finitely embedded rings with the ascending chain conditions on right and left annihilators. We show here, however, that finitely embedded commutative rings with the acc on annihilator (= acc $\bot$) are Artinian. The proof uses the author’s characterization in [Fl] of acc $\bot$ rings, and the Levitzki [L] and Herstein-Small [H-S] theorem on the nilpotency of nil ideals in $2$-sided ace $\bot$ rings. A corollary is a result of Shizhong [Sh] that shows commutative subdirectly irreducible acc $\bot$ rings are QF.
- Victor P. Camillo, Commutative rings whose quotients are Goldie, Glasgow Math. J. 16 (1975), no. 1, 32–33. MR 379476, DOI 10.1017/S0017089500002470
- Carl Faith, Lectures on injective modules and quotient rings, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, No. 49, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-New York, 1967. MR 0227206
- Carl Faith, Rings with ascending condition on annihilators, Nagoya Math. J. 27 (1966), 179–191. MR 193107
- Carl Faith, Algebra. II, Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften, No. 191, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-New York, 1976. Ring theory. MR 0427349 —, Injective modules over Levitzki rings, Part I of Injective modules and injective quotient rings, Lecture Notes in Pure and Appl. Math., vol. 72, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1982. —, Annihilators, associated prime ideals, and Kasch-McCoy quotient rings of commutative rings, Robert Warfield Memorial Issue, Comm. Algebra (to appear).
- I. N. Herstein and L. Small, Nil rings satisfying certain chain conditions, Canadian J. Math. 16 (1964), 771–776. MR 166220, DOI 10.4153/CJM-1964-074-0
- J. Levitzki, On nil subrings, Israel J. Math. 1 (1963), 215–216. MR 163931, DOI 10.1007/BF02759721
- William Schelter and Lance W. Small, Some pathological rings of quotients, J. London Math. Soc. (2) 14 (1976), no. 2, 200–202. MR 429973, DOI 10.1112/jlms/s2-14.2.200 P. Shizhong, Commutative subdirectly irreducible rings with the acc on annihilators are QF, Comm. Algebra (to appear).
- Peter Vámos, Classical rings, J. Algebra 34 (1975), 114–129. MR 382250, DOI 10.1016/0021-8693(75)90198-2
- © Copyright 1991 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 112 (1991), 657-659
- MSC: Primary 13E10; Secondary 16L60, 16P20, 16P60
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1991-1057942-0
- MathSciNet review: 1057942