Abstract:The main purpose of this paper is to examine certain well-known modular equations of degree 5 from a very intuitive angle. Unlike the classical treatment of this subject, which requires parametrization of certain key quantities, we will give direct proofs to these equations by recasting them as theta function identities which are quite interesting in their own right.
- © Copyright 1995 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 123 (1995), 1521-1526
- MSC: Primary 33D10; Secondary 11B65
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1995-1273524-3
- MathSciNet review: 1273524