A limiting example for the local “fuzzy” sum rule in nonsmooth analysis
HTML articles powered by AMS MathViewer
- by Jon Vanderwerff and Qiji J. Zhu PDF
- Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 126 (1998), 2691-2697 Request permission
Abstract:We show that assuming all the summand functions to be lower semicontinuous is not sufficient to ensure a (strong) fuzzy sum rule for subdifferentials in any infinite dimensional Banach space. From this we deduce that additional assumptions are also needed on functions for chain rules, multiplier rules for constrained minimization problems and Clarke-Ledyaev type mean value inequalities in the infinite dimensional setting.
- Jonathan M. Borwein and Alexander Ioffe, Proximal analysis in smooth spaces, Set-Valued Anal. 4 (1996), no. 1, 1–24. MR 1384247, DOI 10.1007/BF00419371
- J. M. Borwein, J. S. Treiman and Q. J. Zhu, Necessary conditions for constrained optimization problems with semicontinuous and continuous data, CECM Research Report 95-51 (1995), Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., to appear.
- Jonathan M. Borwein and Qiji J. Zhu, Viscosity solutions and viscosity subderivatives in smooth Banach spaces with applications to metric regularity, SIAM J. Control Optim. 34 (1996), no. 5, 1568–1591. MR 1404847, DOI 10.1137/S0363012994268801
- Frank H. Clarke, Methods of dynamic and nonsmooth optimization, CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics, vol. 57, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Philadelphia, PA, 1989. MR 1085948, DOI 10.1137/1.9781611970142
- F. H. Clarke and Yu. S. Ledyaev, Mean value inequalities in Hilbert space, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 344 (1994), no. 1, 307–324 (English, with English and French summaries). MR 1227093, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9947-1994-1227093-8
- F. H. Clarke, Lecture Notes in Nonsmooth Analysis, unpublished.
- R. Deville and E. M. E. Haddad, The subdifferential of the sum of two functions in Banach spaces, I. first order case, J. Convex Analysis 3 (1996), 295–308.
- R. Deville and M. Ivanov, Smooth variational principles with constraints, Math. Nachrichen, to appear.
- Joseph Diestel, Sequences and series in Banach spaces, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 92, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1984. MR 737004, DOI 10.1007/978-1-4612-5200-9
- Aleksandr D. Ioffe, On subdifferentiability spaces, Fifth international conference on collective phenomena, Ann. New York Acad. Sci., vol. 410, New York Acad. Sci., New York, 1983, pp. 107–119. MR 775520, DOI 10.1111/j.1749-6632.1983.tb23308.x
- A. D. Ioffe, Calculus of Dini subdifferentials of functions and contingent coderivatives of set-valued maps, Nonlinear Anal. 8 (1984), no. 5, 517–539. MR 741606, DOI 10.1016/0362-546X(84)90091-9
- A. D. Ioffe, Proximal analysis and approximate subdifferentials, J. London Math. Soc. (2) 41 (1990), no. 1, 175–192. MR 1063554, DOI 10.1112/jlms/s2-41.1.175
- A. D. Ioffe and R. T. Rockafellar, The Euler and Weierstrass conditions for nonsmooth variational problems, Calc. Var. Partial Differential Equations 4 (1996), no. 1, 59–87. MR 1379193, DOI 10.1007/BF01322309
- Robert R. Phelps, Convex functions, monotone operators and differentiability, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 1364, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1989. MR 984602, DOI 10.1007/BFb0089089
- Q. J. Zhu, Subderivatives and their applications, Proceedings of the International Conference on Dynamic Systems, Springfield, MO, June 1996.
- Q. J. Zhu, Clarke-Ledyaev mean value inequality in smooth Banach spaces, CECM Research Report 96-78 (1996), Nonlinear Analysis: TMA, to appear.
- Jon Vanderwerff
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Walla Walla College, College Place, Washington 99324
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Qiji J. Zhu
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics & Statistics, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008
- Email: email@example.com
- Received by editor(s): January 30, 1997
- Additional Notes: The first author’s research was partially supported by a Walla Walla College Faculty Development Grant.
The second author’s work was partially supported by a grant from the Faculty Research and Creative Activities Support Fund, Western Michigan University.
Research for this note was completed while the authors were visiting Simon Fraser University. The authors thank J.M. Borwein and the CECM for their hospitality.
- Communicated by: Dale Alspach
- © Copyright 1998 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 126 (1998), 2691-2697
- MSC (1991): Primary 26B05, 49J50, 49J52
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-98-04365-2
- MathSciNet review: 1451834