$Qqpi$ groups and quasi-equivalence
Authors: H. P. Goeters and W. J. Wickless
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 126 (1998), 3145-3150
MSC (1991): Primary 20K15
MathSciNet review: 1485477
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: A torsion-free abelian group $G$ is $qpi$ if every map from a pure subgroup $K$ of $G$ into $G$ lifts to an endomorphism of $G.$ The class of $qpi$ groups has been extensively studied, resulting in a number of nice characterizations. We obtain some characterizations for the class of homogeneous $Qqpi$ groups, those homogeneous groups $G$ such that, for $K$ pure in $G,$ every $\theta :K\rightarrow G$ has a lifting to a quasi-endomorphism of $G.$ An irreducible group is $Qqpi$ if and only if every pure subgroup of each of its strongly indecomposable quasi-summands is strongly indecomposable. A $Qqpi$ group $G$ is $qpi$ if and only if every endomorphism of $G$ is an integral multiple of an automorphism. A group $G$ has minimal test for quasi-equivalence ($mtqe)$ if whenever $K$ and $L$ are quasi-isomorphic pure subgroups of $G$ then $K$ and $L$ are equivalent via a quasi-automorphism of $G.$ For homogeneous groups, we show that in almost all cases the $Qqpi$ and $mtqe$ properties coincide.
- David M. Arnold, Finite rank torsion free abelian groups and rings, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 931, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-New York, 1982. MR 665251
- D. M. Arnold, B. O’Brien, and J. D. Reid, Quasipure injective and projective torsion-free abelian groups of finite rank, Proc. London Math. Soc. (3) 38 (1979), no. 3, 532–544. MR 532986, DOI https://doi.org/10.1112/plms/s3-38.3.532
- James D. Reid, On the ring of quasi-endomorphisms of a torsion-free group, Topics in Abelian Groups (Proc. Sympos., New Mexico State Univ., 1962), Scott, Foresman and Co., Chicago, Ill., 1963, pp. 51–68. MR 0169915
- J. D. Reid, Abelian groups cyclic over their endomorphism rings, Abelian group theory (Honolulu, Hawaii, 1983) Lecture Notes in Math., vol. 1006, Springer, Berlin, 1983, pp. 190–203. MR 722618, DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/BFb0103702
- D. Arnold, Finite Rank Torsion Free Abelian Groups and Rings, Springer-Verlag LNM 931 (1982).
- D. Arnold, B. O’Brien and J. Reid, Quasipure injective and projective torsion-free abelian groups of finite rank, Proceedings of the London Math. Soc. 38 (1979), 532-44.
- J. Reid, On the ring of quasi-endomorphisms of a torsion-free group, Topics in Abelian Groups, Scott Foresman, 1963, 51-58.
- ---, Abelian groups cyclic over their endomorphism rings, Abelian Group Theory, Springer-Verlag LNM 1006 (1983), 190-203.
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC (1991): 20K15
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC (1991): 20K15
H. P. Goeters
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama 36849
W. J. Wickless
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269
Received by editor(s): March 21, 1997
Communicated by: Ronald M. Solomon
Article copyright: © Copyright 1998 American Mathematical Society