Abstract:Recently, M. Bestvina and N. Brady have exhibited groups that are of type $FP$ but not finitely presented. We give explicit presentations for groups of the type considered by Bestvina-Brady. This leads to algebraic proofs of some of their results.
- M. Bestvina and N. Brady, Morse theory and finiteness properties of groups, to appear in Invent. Math.
- Robert Bieri, Homological dimension of discrete groups, Queen Mary College Mathematics Notes, Queen Mary College, Mathematics Department, London, 1976. MR 0466344
- I. M. Chiswell, The Euler characteristic of graph products and of Coxeter groups, Discrete groups and geometry (Birmingham, 1991) London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Ser., vol. 173, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1992, pp. 36–46. MR 1196914, DOI 10.1017/CBO9780511565793.006
- P. M. Cohn and Warren Dicks, On central extensions of skew fields, J. Algebra 63 (1980), no. 1, 143–151. MR 568568, DOI 10.1016/0021-8693(80)90029-0
- Carl Droms, Subgroups of graph groups, J. Algebra 110 (1987), no. 2, 519–522. MR 910401, DOI 10.1016/0021-8693(87)90063-9
- J. Howie, Bestvina-Brady groups and the plus construction, preprint (1997).
- Ki Hang Kim, L. Makar-Limanov, Joseph Neggers, and Fred W. Roush, Graph algebras, J. Algebra 64 (1980), no. 1, 46–51. MR 575780, DOI 10.1016/0021-8693(80)90131-3
- John Stallings, A finitely presented group whose 3-dimensional integral homology is not finitely generated, Amer. J. Math. 85 (1963), 541–543. MR 158917, DOI 10.2307/2373106
- Warren Dicks
- Affiliation: Departament de Matemàtiques, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, E-08193 Bellaterra (Barcelona), Spain
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ian J. Leary
- Affiliation: Faculty of Mathematical Studies, University of Southampton, Southampton, SO17 1BJ, United Kingdom
- Email: email@example.com
- Received by editor(s): May 17, 1997
- Additional Notes: W. Dicks acknowledges support from the DGICYT (Spain) through grant number PB93-0900
I. Leary acknowledges support from the Nuffield Foundation through grant number SCI/180/96/127, and from EPSRC grant number GR/L06928
- Communicated by: Ronald M. Solomon
- © Copyright 1999 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 127 (1999), 343-348
- MSC (1991): Primary 20F36; Secondary 20E07, 20F32
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-99-04873-X
- MathSciNet review: 1605948