A uniqueness theorem for a free boundary problem
Authors: E. N. Dancer and Yihong Du
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 134 (2006), 3223-3230
MSC (2000): Primary 35J25, 35J85, 49J40
Published electronically: May 11, 2006
MathSciNet review: 2231905
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: In this paper, we prove a uniqueness theorem for a free boundary problem which is given in the form of a variational inequality. This free boundary problem arises as the limit of an equation that serves as a basic model in population biology. Apart from the interest in the problem itself, the techniques used in this paper, which are based on the regularity theory of variational inequalities and of harmonic functions, are of independent interest, and may have other applications.
- H. Berestycki, L. Nirenberg, and S. R. S. Varadhan, The principal eigenvalue and maximum principle for second-order elliptic operators in general domains, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 47 (1994), no. 1, 47–92. MR 1258192, DOI https://doi.org/10.1002/cpa.3160470105
- E. N. Dancer and Yihong Du, Effects of certain degeneracies in the predator-prey model, SIAM J. Math. Anal. 34 (2002), no. 2, 292–314. MR 1951776, DOI https://doi.org/10.1137/S0036141001387598
- E. N. Dancer and Yihong Du, On a free boundary problem arising from population biology, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 52 (2003), no. 1, 51–67. MR 1970020, DOI https://doi.org/10.1512/iumj.2003.52.2196
- E. N. Dancer, Yihong Du, and Li Ma, Asymptotic behavior of positive solutions of some elliptic problems, Pacific J. Math. 210 (2003), no. 2, 215–228. MR 1988532, DOI https://doi.org/10.2140/pjm.2003.210.215
- Yihong Du, Effects of a degeneracy in the competition model. I. Classical and generalized steady-state solutions, J. Differential Equations 181 (2002), no. 1, 92–132. MR 1900462, DOI https://doi.org/10.1006/jdeq.2001.4074
- Avner Friedman, Variational principles and free-boundary problems, Pure and Applied Mathematics, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1982. A Wiley-Interscience Publication. MR 679313
- David Gilbarg and Neil S. Trudinger, Elliptic partial differential equations of second order, 2nd ed., Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften [Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences], vol. 224, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1983. MR 737190
- P. Grisvard, Elliptic problems in nonsmooth domains, Monographs and Studies in Mathematics, vol. 24, Pitman (Advanced Publishing Program), Boston, MA, 1985. MR 775683
- Richard A. Hunt and Richard L. Wheeden, On the boundary values of harmonic functions, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 132 (1968), 307–322. MR 226044, DOI https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1968-0226044-7
- David Kinderlehrer and Guido Stampacchia, An introduction to variational inequalities and their applications, Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 88, Academic Press, Inc. [Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers], New York-London, 1980. MR 567696
- H. Berestycki, L. Nirenberg and S.R.S. Varadhan, The principal eigenvalue and maximum principle for second order elliptic operators in general domains, Comm. Pure Appl. Math., 47(1994), 47-92.
- E.N. Dancer and Y. Du, Effects of certain degeneracies in the predator-prey model, SIAM J. Math. Anal., 34(2002), 292-314.
- E.N. Dancer and Y. Du, On a free boundary problem arising from population biology, Indiana Univ. Math. J., 52 (2003), 51-68.
- E.N. Dancer, Y. Du and L. Ma, Asymptotic behavior of positive solutions of some elliptic problems, Pacific J. Math., 210(2003), 215-228.
- Y. Du, Effects of a degeneracy in the competition model, part I and part II, J. Diff. Eqns., 181(2002), 92-164.
- A. Friedman, Variational Principles and Free-Boundary Problems, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1982.
- D. Gilbarg and N.S. Trudinger, Elliptic Partial Differential Equation of Second Order, 2nd Edition, Springer-Verlag, 1983.
- P. Grisvard, Elliptic Problems in Non Smooth Domains, Pitman, London, 1985.
- R. Hunt and R. Wheeden, On the boundary values of harmonic functions, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., 132(1968), 307-322.
- D. Kinderlehrer and G. Stampacchia, An Introduction to Variational Inequalities and Their Applications, Academic Press, New York, 1980.
E. N. Dancer
Affiliation: School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Affiliation: School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science, University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia
Keywords: Free boundary problem, variational inequality, elliptic equation
Received by editor(s): April 30, 2003
Received by editor(s) in revised form: May 15, 2005
Published electronically: May 11, 2006
Communicated by: David S. Tartakoff
Article copyright: © Copyright 2006 American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.