The -Laplace equation on a class of Grushin-type spaces
Authors: Thomas Bieske and Jasun Gong
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 134 (2006), 3585-3594
MSC (2000): Primary 35H20; Secondary 17B70
Published electronically: May 31, 2006
MathSciNet review: 2240671
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: We find the fundamental solution to the -Laplace equation in Grushin-type spaces. The singularity occurs at the sub-Riemannian points, which naturally corresponds to finding the fundamental solution of a generalized Grushin operator in Euclidean space. We then use this solution to find an infinite harmonic function with specific boundary data and to compute the capacity of annuli centered at the singularity. A solution to the 2-Laplace equation in a wider class of spaces is presented.
- 1. André Bellaïche, The tangent space in sub-Riemannian geometry, Sub-Riemannian geometry, Progr. Math., vol. 144, Birkhäuser, Basel, 1996, pp. 1–78. MR 1421822, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-0348-9210-0_1
- 2. Thomas Bieske, Lipschitz extensions on generalized Grushin spaces, Michigan Math. J. 53 (2005), no. 1, 3–31. MR 2125531, https://doi.org/10.1307/mmj/1114021082
- 3. Bieske, Thomas. Properties of Infinite Harmonic Functions in Riemannian Vector Fields. Preprint.
- 4. Thomas Bieske and Luca Capogna, The Aronsson-Euler equation for absolutely minimizing Lipschitz extensions with respect to Carnot-Carathéodory metrics, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 357 (2005), no. 2, 795–823. MR 2095631, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-04-03601-3
- 5. Luca Capogna, Donatella Danielli, and Nicola Garofalo, Capacitary estimates and the local behavior of solutions of nonlinear subelliptic equations, Amer. J. Math. 118 (1996), no. 6, 1153–1196. MR 1420920
- 6. Isaac Chavel, Eigenvalues in Riemannian geometry, Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 115, Academic Press, Inc., Orlando, FL, 1984. Including a chapter by Burton Randol; With an appendix by Jozef Dodziuk. MR 768584
- 7. Roberto Monti and Francesco Serra Cassano, Surface measures in Carnot-Carathéodory spaces, Calc. Var. Partial Differential Equations 13 (2001), no. 3, 339–376. MR 1865002, https://doi.org/10.1007/s005260000076
- 8. Nguen Min′Chi, On the Grushin equation, Mat. Zametki 63 (1998), no. 1, 95–105 (Russian, with Russian summary); English transl., Math. Notes 63 (1998), no. 1-2, 84–93. MR 1631852, https://doi.org/10.1007/bf02316146
- 9. Nguyen Minh Tri, Remark on non-uniform fundamental and non smooth solutions of some classes of differential operators with double characteristics, J. Math. Sci. Univ. Tokyo 6 (1999), no. 3, 437–452. MR 1726678
- 10. Wang, C.Y. The Euler Equation of Absolutely Minimizing Lipschitz Extensions for Vector Fields satisfying Hörmander's Condition. Preprint.
- Bellaïche, André. The Tangent Space in Sub-Riemannian Geometry. In Sub-Riemannian Geometry; Bellaïche, André., Risler, Jean-Jacques., Eds.; Progress in Mathematics; Birkhäuser: Basel, Switzerland. 1996; Vol. 144, 1-78. MR 1421822
- Bieske, Thomas. Lipschitz Extensions on Generalized Grushin Spaces. Mich. Math. J., 2005, 53 (1), 3-31. MR 2125531
- Bieske, Thomas. Properties of Infinite Harmonic Functions in Riemannian Vector Fields. Preprint.
- Bieske, Thomas.; Capogna, Luca. The Aronsson-Euler Equation for Absolutely Minimizing Lipschitz Extensions with respect to Carnot-Carathéodory Metrics. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., 2005, 357 (2), 795-823. MR 2095631
- Capogna, Luca.; Danielli, Donatella.; Garofalo, Nicola. Capacitary Estimates and the Local Behavior of Solutions of Nonlinear Subelliptic Equations. Amer. J. of Math. 1997, 118, 1153-1196. MR 1420920
- Chavel, Isaac. Eigenvalues in Riemannian Geometry; Academic Press: Orlando, 1984. MR 0768584
- Monti, Roberto.; Serra Cassano, Francesco. Surfaces Measures in Carnot-Carathéodory Spaces. Calc. Var. PDE, 2001, 13 (3), 339-376.MR 1865002
- Tri, Nguyen Minh. On Grushin's Equation. Math. Notes, 1998, 63 (1), 84-93. MR 1631852
- Tri, Nguyen Minh. Remark on Non-Uniform Fundamental and Non-Smooth Solutions of Some Classes of Differential Operators with Double Characteristics. J. Math. Sci. Univ. Tokyo 1999, 6, 437-452.MR 1726678
- Wang, C.Y. The Euler Equation of Absolutely Minimizing Lipschitz Extensions for Vector Fields satisfying Hörmander's Condition. Preprint.
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33620
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
Keywords: Grushin-type spaces, $P$-Laplacian
Received by editor(s): December 20, 2004
Received by editor(s) in revised form: June 28, 2005
Published electronically: May 31, 2006
Communicated by: David S. Tartakoff
Article copyright: © Copyright 2006 American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.