Abstract:In 2006 Belkale and Kumar defined a new product on the cohomology of flag varieties and used this new product to give an improved solution to the eigencone problem for complex reductive groups. In this paper, we give a generalization of the Belkale-Kumar product to the branching Schubert calculus setting. The study of branching Schubert calculus attempts to understand the induced map on cohomology of an equivariant embedding of flag varieties. The main application of our work is a compact formulation of the solution to the branching eigencone problem.
- H. Azad, M. Barry, and G. Seitz, On the structure of parabolic subgroups, Comm. Algebra 18 (1990), no. 2, 551–562. MR 1047327, DOI 10.1080/00927879008823931
- Prakash Belkale and Shrawan Kumar, Eigencone, saturation and Horn problems for symplectic and odd orthogonal groups, J. Algebraic Geom. 19 (2010), no. 2, 199–242. MR 2580675, DOI 10.1090/S1056-3911-09-00517-7
- Prakash Belkale and Shrawan Kumar, Eigenvalue problem and a new product in cohomology of flag varieties, Invent. Math. 166 (2006), no. 1, 185–228. MR 2242637, DOI 10.1007/s00222-006-0516-x
- Arkady Berenstein and Reyer Sjamaar, Coadjoint orbits, moment polytopes, and the Hilbert-Mumford criterion, J. Amer. Math. Soc. 13 (2000), no. 2, 433–466. MR 1750957, DOI 10.1090/S0894-0347-00-00327-1
- I. N. Bernšteĭn, I. M. Gel′fand, and S. I. Gel′fand, Schubert cells, and the cohomology of the spaces $G/P$, Uspehi Mat. Nauk 28 (1973), no. 3(171), 3–26 (Russian). MR 0429933
- Sara Billey and V. Lakshmibai, Singular loci of Schubert varieties, Progress in Mathematics, vol. 182, Birkhäuser Boston, Inc., Boston, MA, 2000. MR 1782635, DOI 10.1007/978-1-4612-1324-6
- I. Coskun. Restriction varieties and geometric branching rules. Submitted.
- Michel Demazure, Désingularisation des variétés de Schubert généralisées, Ann. Sci. École Norm. Sup. (4) 7 (1974), 53–88 (French). MR 354697
- Steven L. Kleiman, The transversality of a general translate, Compositio Math. 28 (1974), 287–297. MR 360616
- N. Ressayre. Geometric invariant theory and the generalized eigenvalue problem. Invent. Math., 180(2):382-441, 2010.
- N. Ressayre. Geometric invariant theory and the generalized eigenvalue problem II. To appear in Annales de L’institut Fourier.
- N. Ressayre. Multiplicative formulas in cohomology of $g/p$ and in quiver representations. Submitted.
- E. Richmond. A multiplicative formula for structure constants in the cohomology of flag varieties. Submitted.
- E. Richmond. Recursive structures in the cohomology of flag varieties. Thesis, University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, 2008.
- Edward Richmond, A partial Horn recursion in the cohomology of flag varieties, J. Algebraic Combin. 30 (2009), no. 1, 1–17. MR 2519847, DOI 10.1007/s10801-008-0149-9
- Nicolas Ressayre
- Affiliation: Département de Mathématiques, Université Montpellier II, Case courrier 051-Place Eugène Bataillon, 34095 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
- Email: email@example.com
- Edward Richmond
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97402
- Address at time of publication: Department of Mathematics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, V6T172, Canada
- MR Author ID: 875224
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Received by editor(s): September 16, 2009
- Received by editor(s) in revised form: February 27, 2010, and April 9, 2010
- Published electronically: October 1, 2010
- Additional Notes: The first author was partially supported by the French National Research Agency (ANR-09-JCJC-0102-01).
- Communicated by: Ted Chinburg
- © Copyright 2010
American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 139 (2011), 835-848
- MSC (2010): Primary 14M15, 14N15; Secondary 57T15
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-2010-10681-0
- MathSciNet review: 2745636