Abstract:We establish a new inequality for rational functions and show that it implies many inequalities for polynomials and their polar derivatives.
- Abdul Aziz, Inequalities for the polar derivative of a polynomial, J. Approx. Theory 55 (1988), no. 2, 183–193. MR 965215, DOI 10.1016/0021-9045(88)90085-8
- Abdul Aziz and W. M. Shah, Inequalities for the polar derivative of a polynomial, Indian J. Pure Appl. Math. 29 (1998), no. 2, 163–173. MR 1623254
- Peter Borwein and Tamás Erdélyi, Polynomials and polynomial inequalities, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 161, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1995. MR 1367960, DOI 10.1007/978-1-4612-0793-1
- Peter Borwein and Tamás Erdélyi, Sharp extensions of Bernstein’s inequality to rational spaces, Mathematika 43 (1996), no. 2, 413–423 (1997). MR 1433285, DOI 10.1112/S0025579300011876
- F. F. Bonsall and Morris Marden, Critical points of rational functions with self-inversive polynomial factors, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 5 (1954), 111–114. MR 60016, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9939-1954-0060016-6
- N. K. Govil, On the derivative of a polynomial, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 41 (1973), 543–546. MR 325932, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9939-1973-0325932-8
- N. K. Govil, Griffith Nyuydinkong, and Berhanu Tameru, Some $L^p$ inequalities for the polar derivative of a polynomial, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 254 (2001), no. 2, 618–626. MR 1805528, DOI 10.1006/jmaa.2000.7267
- Peter D. Lax, Proof of a conjecture of P. Erdös on the derivative of a polynomial, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 50 (1944), 509–513. MR 10731, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9904-1944-08177-9
- Xin Li, R. N. Mohapatra, and R. S. Rodriguez, Bernstein-type inequalities for rational functions with prescribed poles, J. London Math. Soc. (2) 51 (1995), no. 3, 523–531. MR 1332889, DOI 10.1112/jlms/51.3.523
- M. A. Malik and M. C. Vong, Inequalities concerning the derivative of polynomials, Rend. Circ. Mat. Palermo (2) 34 (1985), no. 3, 422–426 (1986). MR 848119, DOI 10.1007/BF02844535
- Morris Marden, Geometry of polynomials, 2nd ed., Mathematical Surveys, No. 3, American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I., 1966. MR 0225972
- R.N. Mohapatra and W.M. Shah, Inequalities for the polar derivative of a polynomial, preprint, 2008.
- Q. I. Rahman and G. Schmeisser, Analytic theory of polynomials, London Mathematical Society Monographs. New Series, vol. 26, The Clarendon Press, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2002. MR 1954841
- V.I. Smirnov and N.A. Lebedev, Function of a Complex Variable, English edition, Iliffe Books, Landon, 1968.
- Xin Li
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida 32816
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Received by editor(s): February 4, 2010
- Received by editor(s) in revised form: May 17, 2010
- Published electronically: September 16, 2010
- Communicated by: Walter Van Assche
- © Copyright 2010
American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 139 (2011), 1659-1665
- MSC (2010): Primary 26D10, 26Cxx; Secondary 30A10, 30C15
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-2010-10624-X
- MathSciNet review: 2763755