Abstract:A surface $F$ in a 3-manifold $M$ is called cylindrical if $M$ cut open along $F$ admits an essential annulus $A$. If, in addition, $(A, \partial A)$ is embedded in $(M, F)$, then we say that $F$ is strongly cylindrical. Let $M$ be a connected 3-manifold that admits a triangulation using $t$ tetrahedra and $F$ a two-sided connected essential closed surface of genus $g(F)$. We show that if $g(F)$ is at least $38 t$, then $F$ is strongly cylindrical. As a corollary, we give an alternative proof of the assertion that every closed hyperbolic 3-manifold admits only finitely many fibrations over the circle with connected fiber whose translation distance is not one, which was originally proved by Saul Schleimer.
- Ian Agol, The virtual Haken conjecture, Doc. Math. 18 (2013), 1045–1087. With an appendix by Agol, Daniel Groves, and Jason Manning. MR 3104553
- David Bachman and Saul Schleimer, Surface bundles versus Heegaard splittings, Comm. Anal. Geom. 13 (2005), no. 5, 903–928. MR 2216145
- Mario Eudave-Muñoz and Max Neumann-Coto, Acylindrical surfaces in 3-manifolds and knot complements, Bol. Soc. Mat. Mexicana (3) 10 (2004), no. Special Issue, 147–169. MR 2199345
- Joel Hass, Acylindrical surfaces in $3$-manifolds, Michigan Math. J. 42 (1995), no. 2, 357–365. MR 1342495, DOI 10.1307/mmj/1029005233
- William Jaco and Ulrich Oertel, An algorithm to decide if a $3$-manifold is a Haken manifold, Topology 23 (1984), no. 2, 195–209. MR 744850, DOI 10.1016/0040-9383(84)90039-9
- Tsuyoshi Kobayashi and Yo’av Rieck, A linear bound on the tetrahedral number of manifolds of bounded volume (after Jørgensen and Thurston), Topology and geometry in dimension three, Contemp. Math., vol. 560, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 2011, pp. 27–42. MR 2866921, DOI 10.1090/conm/560/11089
- Tsuyoshi Kobayashi and Yo’av Rieck, Hyperbolic volume and Heegaard distance, Comm. Anal. Geom. 22 (2014), no. 2, 247–268. MR 3210755, DOI 10.4310/CAG.2014.v22.n2.a3
- Saul Schleimer, Strongly irreducible surface automorphisms, Topology and geometry of manifolds (Athens, GA, 2001) Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., vol. 71, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 2003, pp. 287–296. MR 2024639, DOI 10.1090/pspum/071/2024639
- Z. Sela, Acylindrical accessibility for groups, Invent. Math. 129 (1997), no. 3, 527–565. MR 1465334, DOI 10.1007/s002220050172
- Daniel T. Wise, The structure of groups with a quasiconvex hierarchy, Available at http://www.math.mcgill.ca/wise/papers.html.
- Daniel T. Wise, From riches to raags: 3-manifolds, right-angled Artin groups, and cubical geometry, CBMS Regional Conference Series in Mathematics, vol. 117, Published for the Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences, Washington, DC; by the American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2012. MR 2986461, DOI 10.1090/cbms/117
- Kazuhiro Ichihara
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, College of Humanities and Sciences, Nihon University, 3-25-40 Sakurajosui, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 156-8550, Japan
- Email: email@example.com
- Tsuyoshi Kobayashi
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Nara Women’s University, Kitauoya Nishimachi, Nara 630-8506, Japan
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yo’av Rieck
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
- MR Author ID: 660621
- Email: email@example.com
- Received by editor(s): September 12, 2013
- Received by editor(s) in revised form: February 2, 2014
- Published electronically: March 4, 2015
- Additional Notes: The first author was supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 23740061.
The second author was supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 25400091.
This work was partially supported by a grant from the Simons Foundation (Grant Number 283495 to Yo’av Rieck).
- Communicated by: Daniel Ruberman
- © Copyright 2015 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 143 (2015), 3169-3176
- MSC (2010): Primary 57M99, 57R22
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-2015-12473-2
- MathSciNet review: 3336641