Abstract:It is due to Milnor that there is no Herman ring for any rational map with two critical values. In this paper, we are concerned with if there exist Herman rings for rational maps with three critical values. We first prove that such rational maps cannot have Herman rings of period $1$, $2$, or $3$. Then we prove all regularly ramified rational maps have no Herman rings in their Fatou sets.
- Rodrigo Bamón and Juan Bobenrieth, The rational maps $z\mapsto 1+1/\omega z^d$ have no Herman rings, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 127 (1999), no. 2, 633–636. MR 1469397, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9939-99-04566-9
- R. L. Devaney and E. D. Russell, Connectivity of Julia sets for singularly perturbed rational maps, Chaos, CNN, Memristors and Beyond, World Scientific, (2013), 239-245.
- Hershel M. Farkas and Irwin Kra, Riemann surfaces, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 71, Springer-Verlag, New York-Berlin, 1980. MR 583745
- Jun Hu, Francisco G. Jimenez, and Oleg Muzician, Rational maps with half symmetries, Julia sets, and multibrot sets in parameter planes, Conformal dynamics and hyperbolic geometry, Contemp. Math., vol. 573, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 2012, pp. 119–146. MR 2964076, DOI 10.1090/conm/573/11393
- Jun Hu, Oleg Muzician, and Yingqing Xiao, Dynamics of regularly ramified rational maps: I. Julia sets of maps in one-parameter families, Discrete Contin. Dyn. Syst. 38 (2018), no. 7, 3189–3221. MR 3809081, DOI 10.3934/dcds.2018139
- M. Yu. Lyubich, Dynamics of rational transformations: topological picture, Uspekhi Mat. Nauk 41 (1986), no. 4(250), 35–95, 239 (Russian). MR 863874
- John Milnor, Dynamics in one complex variable, 3rd ed., Annals of Mathematics Studies, vol. 160, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 2006. MR 2193309
- John Milnor, On rational maps with two critical points, Experiment. Math. 9 (2000), no. 4, 481–522. MR 1806289
- Mitsuhiro Shishikura, On the quasiconformal surgery of rational functions, Ann. Sci. École Norm. Sup. (4) 20 (1987), no. 1, 1–29. MR 892140
- Yingqing Xiao and Weiyuan Qiu, The rational maps $F_\lambda (z)=z^m+\lambda /z^d$ have no Herman rings, Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. Math. Sci. 120 (2010), no. 4, 403–407. MR 2761768, DOI 10.1007/s12044-010-0044-x
- Yingqing Xiao, Weiyuan Qiu, and Yongcheng Yin, On the dynamics of generalized McMullen maps, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems 34 (2014), no. 6, 2093–2112. MR 3272785, DOI 10.1017/etds.2013.21
- Yingqing Xiao and Fei Yang, Singular perturbations of the unicritical polynomials with two parameters, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems 37 (2017), no. 6, 1997–2016. MR 3681993, DOI 10.1017/etds.2015.114
- Yingqing Xiao and Fei Yang, Singular perturbations with multiple poles of the simple polynomials, Qual. Theory Dyn. Syst. 16 (2017), no. 3, 731–747. MR 3703528, DOI 10.1007/s12346-016-0205-0
- Fei Yang, Rational maps without Herman rings, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 145 (2017), no. 4, 1649–1659. MR 3601556, DOI 10.1090/proc/13336
- Jun Hu
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Brooklyn College of CUNY, Brooklyn, New York 11210 –and– Ph.D. Program in Mathematics, Graduate Center of CUNY, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10016 –and– NYU-ECNU Institute of Mathematical Sciences at NYU Shanghai, 3663 Zhongshan Road North, Shanghai 200062, People’s Republic of China
- MR Author ID: 617732
- Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yingqing Xiao
- Affiliation: College of Mathematics and Econometrics, Hunan University, Changsha 410082, People’s Republic of China
- MR Author ID: 785154
- Email: email@example.com
- Received by editor(s): March 24, 2018
- Received by editor(s) in revised form: July 15, 2018, and July 22, 2018
- Published electronically: January 9, 2019
- Additional Notes: The research of the first author was supported by PSC-CUNY research awards and a visiting professorship at NYU Shanghai.
The research of the second author was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under grant numbers 11301165, 11371126, and 11571099.
The second author was the corresponding author.
- Communicated by: Nimish Shah
- © Copyright 2019 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 147 (2019), 1587-1596
- MSC (2010): Primary 37F10, 37F45; Secondary 30F40
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/proc/14347
- MathSciNet review: 3910423