Newman’s theorem in the Riemannian category
HTML articles powered by AMS MathViewer
- by L. N. Mann and J. L. Sicks PDF
- Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 210 (1975), 259-266 Request permission
Abstract:In 1931 M. H. A. Newman proved that if $M$ is a connected topological manifold with metric $d$, there exists a number $\varepsilon > 0$, depending only upon $M$ and $d$, such that every compact Lie group $G$ acting effectively on $M$ has at least one orbit of diameter at least $\varepsilon$. Aside from isolated results nothing appears to be known about $\varepsilon$. In order to learn more about the invariant $\varepsilon$, attention is restricted here to groups of isometries on a Riemannian manifold. It is found that the invariant $\varepsilon$ of $M$ is connected with the notion of convexity introduced by J. H. C. Whitehead in 1932.
- Glen E. Bredon, Introduction to compact transformation groups, Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 46, Academic Press, New York-London, 1972. MR 0413144
- Andreas Dress, Newman’s theorems on transformation groups, Topology 8 (1969), 203–207. MR 238353, DOI 10.1016/0040-9383(69)90010-X
- D. Gromoll, W. Klingenberg, and W. Meyer, Riemannsche Geometrie im Grossen, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, No. 55, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-New York, 1968 (German). MR 0229177, DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-35901-2
- Sigurđur Helgason, Differential geometry and symmetric spaces, Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. XII, Academic Press, New York-London, 1962. MR 0145455
- Shoshichi Kobayashi and Katsumi Nomizu, Foundations of differential geometry. Vol I, Interscience Publishers (a division of John Wiley & Sons, Inc.), New York-London, 1963. MR 0152974
- Deane Montgomery and Leo Zippin, A theorem on Lie groups, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 48 (1942), 448–452. MR 6545, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9904-1942-07699-3 M. H. A. Newman, A theorem on periodic transformations of spaces, Quart. J. Math. 2 (1931), 1-9.
- P. A. Smith, Transformations of finite period. III. Newman’s theorem, Ann. of Math. (2) 42 (1941), 446–458. MR 4128, DOI 10.2307/1968910 J. H. C. Whitehead, Convex regions in the geometry of paths, Quart. J. Math. 3 (1932), 33-42.
- © Copyright 1975 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 210 (1975), 259-266
- MSC: Primary 57E10
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1975-0423388-4
- MathSciNet review: 0423388