Abstract:A construction of all coextensions of a regular semigroup $S$ by rectangular bands is obtained. The construction is analogous to Hall’s construction of orthodox semigroups as spined products of bands and inverse semigroups and reduces to that construction when $S$ is inverse. The results are specialized to provide a construction of the category of all normal coextensions of a regular semigroup.
A. H. Clifford and G. B. Preston, The algebraic theory of semigroups, Math. Surveys, no. 7, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R. I., vol. 1, 1961; vol. 2, 1967.
- Pierre Antoine Grillet, The structure of regular semigroups. I. A representation, Semigroup Forum 8 (1974), no. 2, 177–183. MR 382495, DOI 10.1007/BF02194760
- T. E. Hall, Orthodox semigroups, Pacific J. Math. 39 (1971), 677–686. MR 306370
- T. E. Hall, Congruences and Green’s relations on regular semigroups, Glasgow Math. J. 13 (1972), 167–175. MR 318356, DOI 10.1017/S0017089500001610
- John Meakin and K. S. S. Nambooripad, Coextensions of regular semigroups by rectangular bands. I, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 269 (1982), no. 1, 197–224. MR 637035, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9947-1982-0637035-3
- K. S. S. Nambooripad, Structure of regular semigroups. I, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc. 22 (1979), no. 224, vii+119. MR 546362, DOI 10.1090/memo/0224
- K. S. S. Nambooripad, Relations between cross-connections and biordered sets, Semigroup Forum 16 (1978), no. 1, 67–81. MR 486245, DOI 10.1007/BF02194614
- N. R. Reilly and H. E. Scheiblich, Congruences on regular semigroups, Pacific J. Math. 23 (1967), 349–360. MR 219646
- Miyuki Yamada, Regular semi-groups whose idempotents satisfy permutation identities, Pacific J. Math. 21 (1967), 371–392. MR 227302
- © Copyright 1982 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 272 (1982), 555-568
- MSC: Primary 20M10
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1982-0662053-9
- MathSciNet review: 662053