Abstract:In previous work  we showed how the Thurston or Bers classifications of diffeomorphisms of surfaces could be obtained using the Nielsen types of the lifts of the diffeomorphism to the unit disc. In this paper we find improved conditions on the Nielsen types for the Thurston and Bers classes. We use them to verify that an example studied by Nielsen is a pseudo-Anosov diffeomorphism with stretching factor of degree 4. This example is of interest in its own right, but it also serves to illustrate exactly how the Nielsen types are used for verifying examples. We discuss the general usefulness of this method.
- Lipman Bers, An extremal problem for quasiconformal mappings and a theorem by Thurston, Acta Math. 141 (1978), no. 1-2, 73–98. MR 477161, DOI 10.1007/BF02545743 J. Franks, unpublished.
- Jane Gilman, On the Nielsen type and the classification for the mapping class group, Adv. in Math. 40 (1981), no. 1, 68–96. MR 616161, DOI 10.1016/0001-8708(81)90033-5
- John Hubbard and Howard Masur, Quadratic differentials and foliations, Acta Math. 142 (1979), no. 3-4, 221–274. MR 523212, DOI 10.1007/BF02395062
- Richard T. Miller, Geodesic laminations from Nielsen’s viewpoint, Adv. in Math. 45 (1982), no. 2, 189–212. MR 664623, DOI 10.1016/S0001-8708(82)80003-0
- Jakob Nielsen, Surface transformation classes of algebraically finite type, Danske Vid. Selsk. Mat.-Fys. Medd. 21 (1944), no. 2, 89. MR 15791
- Jakob Nielsen, Untersuchungen zur Topologie der geschlossenen zweiseitigen Flächen, Acta Math. 50 (1927), no. 1, 189–358 (German). MR 1555256, DOI 10.1007/BF02421324 V. Poénaru et al., Traveaux de Thurston, Astérisque 66-67, Société Mathématique de France, 1980.
- William P. Thurston, On the geometry and dynamics of diffeomorphisms of surfaces, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 19 (1988), no. 2, 417–431. MR 956596, DOI 10.1090/S0273-0979-1988-15685-6
- William A. Veech, Projective Swiss cheeses and uniquely ergodic interval exchange transformations, Ergodic theory and dynamical systems, I (College Park, Md., 1979–80), Progr. Math., vol. 10, Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass., 1981, pp. 113–193. MR 633764
- © Copyright 1982 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 272 (1982), 669-675
- MSC: Primary 57N05; Secondary 30F99, 32G15, 57N05
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1982-0662059-X
- MathSciNet review: 662059