The even isomorphism theorem for Coxeter groups
Author: M. Mihalik
Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 359 (2007), 4297-4324
MSC (2000): Primary 20F55; Secondary 20E34
Published electronically: April 16, 2007
MathSciNet review: 2309186
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: Coxeter groups have presentations where for all , , and if and only if . A fundamental question in the theory of Coxeter groups is: Given two such ``Coxeter" presentations, do they present the same group? There are two known ways to change a Coxeter presentation, generally referred to as twisting and simplex exchange. We solve the isomorphism question for Coxeter groups with an even Coxeter presentation (one in which is even or when ). More specifically, we give an algorithm that describes a sequence of twists and triangle-edge exchanges that either converts an arbitrary finitely generated Coxeter presentation into a unique even presentation or identifies the group as a non-even Coxeter group. Our technique can be used to produce all Coxeter presentations for a given even Coxeter group.
- 1. P. Bahls, Even Rigidity in Coxeter Groups, Ph.D. Thesis, Vanderbilt University, 2002.
- 2. Richard E. Borcherds, Coxeter groups, Lorentzian lattices, and 𝐾3 surfaces, Internat. Math. Res. Notices 19 (1998), 1011–1031. MR 1654763, https://doi.org/10.1155/S1073792898000609
- 3. Brigitte Brink and Robert B. Howlett, Normalizers of parabolic subgroups in Coxeter groups, Invent. Math. 136 (1999), no. 2, 323–351. MR 1688445, https://doi.org/10.1007/s002220050312
- 4. N. Bourbaki, Éléments de mathématique. Fasc. XXXIV. Groupes et algèbres de Lie. Chapitre IV: Groupes de Coxeter et systèmes de Tits. Chapitre V: Groupes engendrés par des réflexions. Chapitre VI: systèmes de racines, Actualités Scientifiques et Industrielles, No. 1337, Hermann, Paris, 1968 (French). MR 0240238
- 5. Noel Brady, Jonathan P. McCammond, Bernhard Mühlherr, and Walter D. Neumann, Rigidity of Coxeter groups and Artin groups, Proceedings of the Conference on Geometric and Combinatorial Group Theory, Part I (Haifa, 2000), 2002, pp. 91–109. MR 1950875, https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020948811381
- 6. Vinay V. Deodhar, On the root system of a Coxeter group, Comm. Algebra 10 (1982), no. 6, 611–630. MR 647210, https://doi.org/10.1080/00927878208822738
- 7. M. Mihalik and S. Tschantz, Visual Decompositions of Coxeter Groups, Preprint.
- 8. M. Mihalik, J. Ratcliffe and S. Tschantz, Matching Theorems for Systems of a Finitely Generated Coxeter Group, to appear in Algebraic and Geometric Topology.
- 9. Jean-Pierre Serre, Trees, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-New York, 1980. Translated from the French by John Stillwell. MR 607504
- 10. Joseph J. Rotman, An introduction to the theory of groups, 4th ed., Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 148, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1995. MR 1307623
- P. Bahls, Even Rigidity in Coxeter Groups, Ph.D. Thesis, Vanderbilt University, 2002.
- R. E. Borcherds Coxeter Groups, Lorentzian Lattices and K3 Surfaces, IMRN 19 (1998), 1011-1031. MR 1654763
- B. Brink and R. Howlett, Normalizers of Parabolic Subgroups in Coxeter Groups, Inventiones Mathematicae 136 (1999), 323-351.MR 1688445
- N. Bourbaki, Groupes et Algebres de Lie Chapters IV-VI, Hermann, Paris, 1968.MR 0240238
- N. Brady, J. P. McCammond, B. Mühlherr and W. D. Neumann, Rigidity of Coxeter Groups and Artin Groups, Geom. Dedicata 94 (2002), 91-109.MR 1950875
- V. V. Deodhar, On Root Systems of a Coxeter Group, Comm. Algebra 10 (1982), 611-630.MR 0647210
- M. Mihalik and S. Tschantz, Visual Decompositions of Coxeter Groups, Preprint.
- M. Mihalik, J. Ratcliffe and S. Tschantz, Matching Theorems for Systems of a Finitely Generated Coxeter Group, to appear in Algebraic and Geometric Topology.
- J. P. Serre, Trees, Springer-Verlag, New York (1980).MR 0607504
- J. Rotman, An Introduction to the Theory of Groups, 4th ed., Graduate Texts in Mathematics 148, Springer Verlag, 1995. MR 1307623
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Vanderbilt University, 1516 Stevenson Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37240
Received by editor(s): February 18, 2004
Received by editor(s) in revised form: August 6, 2005
Published electronically: April 16, 2007
Article copyright: © Copyright 2007 American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.