On the asymptotic linearization of acoustic waves
HTML articles powered by AMS MathViewer
- by Athanassios S. Fokas and Laihan Luo PDF
- Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 360 (2008), 6403-6445 Request permission
Abstract:The initial value problem of a certain generalization of the nonlinear, dispersive wave equations with dissipation is rigorously studied. The solutions of the equations can be found exactly up to $O(\epsilon ^2)$ in certain norms. The essential use is made of the fact that this equation is asymptotically linearizable to $O(\epsilon ^2),$ i.e., the equations can be mapped to an equation which differs from a linearizable equation only in terms which are of $O(\epsilon ^2).$ An application of the equations to unidirectional small amplitude acoustic waves is discussed. The general methodology used here can also be applied to other asymptotically linearizable equations.
- C. J. Amick, J. L. Bona, and M. E. Schonbek, Decay of solutions of some nonlinear wave equations, J. Differential Equations 81 (1989), no. 1, 1–49. MR 1012198, DOI 10.1016/0022-0396(89)90176-9
- Jerry L. Bona and Laihan Luo, More results on the decay of solutions to nonlinear, dispersive wave equations, Discrete Contin. Dynam. Systems 1 (1995), no. 2, 151–193. MR 1355869, DOI 10.3934/dcds.1995.1.151
- A. S. Fokas and V. E. Zakharov (eds.), Important developments in soliton theory, Springer Series in Nonlinear Dynamics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1993. MR 1280466, DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-58045-1
- Roger K. Dodd, J. Chris Eilbeck, John D. Gibbon, and Hedley C. Morris, Solitons and nonlinear wave equations, Academic Press, Inc. [Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers], London-New York, 1982. MR 696935
- A. S. Fokas and B. Fuchssteiner, The hierarchy of the Benjamin-Ono equation, Phys. Lett. A 86 (1981), no. 6-7, 341–345. MR 637024, DOI 10.1016/0375-9601(81)90551-X
- A. S. Fokas and Q. M. Liu, Asymptotic integrability of water waves, Phys. Rev. Lett. 77 (1996), no. 12, 2347–2351. MR 1406987, DOI 10.1103/PhysRevLett.77.2347
- Thanasis Fokas and Laihan Luo, On the asymptotic integrability of a generalized Burgers equation, Mathematical problems in the theory of water waves (Luminy, 1995) Contemp. Math., vol. 200, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1996, pp. 85–98. MR 1410502, DOI 10.1090/conm/200/02511
- Yuji Kodama, On integrable systems with higher order corrections, Phys. Lett. A 107 (1985), no. 6, 245–249. MR 778808, DOI 10.1016/0375-9601(85)90207-5
- Q.M. Liu, Ph.D. Dissertation, Clarkson University, 1995.
- G. B. Whitham, Linear and nonlinear waves, Pure and Applied Mathematics, Wiley-Interscience [John Wiley & Sons], New York-London-Sydney, 1974. MR 0483954
- Athanassios S. Fokas
- Affiliation: Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, CB3 0WA, United Kingdom
- Email: T.Fokas@damtp.cam.ac.uk
- Laihan Luo
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, New York Institute of Technology, 1855 Broadway, New York, New York 10023
- Email: email@example.com
- Received by editor(s): November 14, 2006
- Published electronically: July 24, 2008
- Additional Notes: This work was partially supported by the EPSRC, GR/J71885.
- © Copyright 2008
American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.
- Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 360 (2008), 6403-6445
- MSC (2000): Primary 35B40, 35C20, 35G25, 35Q53; Secondary 76B03, 76B15, 76M99
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-08-04531-5
- MathSciNet review: 2434293