- Who: Chairpersons from all types of departments and institutions, chairs-to-be, directors of undergraduate study, directors of graduate study, and non-titular leaders
- When: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. PST
- Where: San Francisco Marriott Marquis, Nob Hill Room
- \$220–AMS members
- \$330–non-AMS members
- Participation includes a complimentary breakfast and lunch.
- JMM registration is now open. Sign up for the Workshop for Department Chairs and Leaders today.
The 2024 workshop organizers are:
- Tim Flood, Pittsburg State University
- Emille Davie Lawrence, University of San Francisco
- Charles Moore, Washington State University
- The workshop provides an opportunity to share experiences about issues and trends that have an impact on math department chairs, math departments, and colleges and universities. Previous topics have included resources, handling stress (students, staff and faculty), curriculum, and instructional delivery.
- Faculty attending from primarily undergraduate institutions were encouraged to apply for an AMS Travel Grant to JMM 2024 for PUI Faculty. The application is open September 1, 2023, through October 17, 2023 (11:59 p.m. EDT).
- The workshop is sponsored by the AMS Division of Meetings and Professional Services.
Please send questions about this workshop to the AMS Programs Department.
Recent workshops have included such topics as:
- 2023 Chairs Workshop Agenda
- "Modernizing Mathematics and Mathematicians" Presented by Kevin Knudson, University of Florida and Jennifer Zhao, University of Michigan-Dearborn
- "Evaluating Teaching" Presented by Luca Capogna, WPI and Jennifer Zhao, University of Michigan-Dearborn
- "Difficult Conversations" Presented by Gloria Marí-Beffa, University of Wisconsin and Luca Capogna, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- "The Entrepreneurial Mathematics Department" Presented by Gloria Marí-Beffa, University of Wisconsin and Luca Capogna, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Read article by Scott Hershberger: Department chairs discuss challenges and solutions at annual workshop.