Mathematics of Planet Earth
The American Mathematical Society is pleased to partner with Mathematics of Planet Earth, a program of research institutes, scientific societies, universities, and foundations around the globe. Below are some resources on mathematics and the environment to inform and inspire:
AMS Mathematical Moments & Mathematics of Planet Earth poster
See how math is connected to understanding our planet and its many dynamic processes.
See more Mathematical Moments related to human systems, management and networks.
Articles in Notices of the AMS
- "When Does Compromise Prevent More Pollution?", by C. Clemons, J. Cossey, M. Ferrara, S. Forcey, T. Norfolk, G. Obeng, D. Ricciardi, and G. Young. October 2012
- "Why Are There No 3-Headed Monsters? Mathematical Modeling in Biology," by J. D. Murray. June/July 2012
- "Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013," by Christiane Rousseau. January 2012
- "Greenhouse Gas Molecules: A Mathematical Perspective," by Goong Chen, Jaan Laane, Steven E. Wheeler, and Zhigang Zhang. November 2011
- "The Mathematics of Animal Behavior: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue," by Shandelle M. Henson and James L. Hayward, November 2010
- "Earthquakes and Weatherquakes: Mathematics and Climate Change," by Martin E. Walter, November 2010
- "Environmental Problems, Uncertainty, and Mathematical Modeling," by John W. Boland, Jerzy A. Filar, and Phil Howlett, November 2010
- "What Is Mathematical Biology and How Useful Is It?", by Avner Friedman, August 2010
- "Communities in Networks," by Mason A. Porter, Jukka-Pekka Onnela, and Peter J. Mucha. October 2009
- "Climate Change and the Mathematics of Transport in Sea Ice," by Kenneth Golden. May 2009
- "Mathematics and the Internet: A Source of Enormous Confusion and Great Potential," by Walter Willinger, David Alderson, and John C. Doyle. May 2009
- "Climate Change: Can Mathematics Help Clear the Air?," by Christopher K.R.T. Jones. April 2009
- "Mathematical Models in Science and Engineering," by Alfio Quarteroni. January 2009
- "Climate Change: a Research Opportunity for Mathematics?," by Pat Kenschaft. June/July 2008
- Book Review: Fly Me to the Moon, by Ed Belbruno. Reviewed by Shane Ross. April 2008
- Book Review: Useless Arithmetic: Why Environmental Scientists Can't Predict the Future, by Orrin Pilkey and Linda Pilkey-Jarvis. Reviewed by Chris Jones. April 2008
- The Water Waves Problem: Mathematical Analysis and Asymptotics, by David Lannes, Ecole Normale Supérieure et CNRS, Paris, France
- Introduction to PDEs and Waves for the Atmosphere and Ocean, by Andrew Majda, New York University-Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York.
- Mathematical Methods for Analysis of a Complex Disease, by Frank C. Hoppensteadt, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University, NY
- Mathematical Methods in Immunology, by Jerome K. Percus, Courant Institute of Mathematics, New York, NY, and Department of Physics, New York University, NY
- Portraits of the Earth: A Mathematician Looks at Maps, by Timothy G. Feeman, Villanova University, PA
- Mathematical Modelling: A case studies approach, by Reinhard Illner, C. Sean Bohun, Samantha McCollum, and Thea van Roode, University of Victoria, BC, Canada
- Modelling in Healthcare, by The Complex Systems Modelling Group (CSMG), The IRMACS Center, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Sign up for the AMS Bookstore Notification Alert service to learn of special sales of other AMS books related to Mathematics of Planet Earth throughout the year.
- "The Shadow Knows: How to measure time with a sundial," by David Austin. August, 2011
- "Farey Numbers and the Magnetic Cactus," by Tony Phillips. October, 2010
- "Mathematics and Climate," by Joe Malkevitch. April, 2009
- "The Mathematics of Rainbows," by Bill Casselman. February, 2009
- "The Mathematics of Surveying: Part I," by Tony Phillips. May 2008
- "The Mathematics of Surveying: Part II," by Bill Casselman and John Eggers. June, 2008
- "Urban Geometry," by Joe Malkevitch. January, 2008
- "Lorenz and Modular Flows: A Visual Introduction," by Étienne Ghys, Jos Leys. November, 2006
- "Voronoi Diagrams and a Day at the Beach," by David Austin. August, 2006
Math in the Media
Blogs on Chaos theory and weather forecasting
See--and submit--listings of upcoming workshops and meetings related to Mathematics of Planet Earth. The listings appear online and in Notices of the AMS.
Mathematics Awareness Month April 2013
2013 Joint Mathematics Meetings
The 2013 Joint Mathematics Meetings in San Diego, CA, was part of the Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013 initiative. See the related talks, sessions and events, which were also identified in the printed JMM program with the Mathematics of Planet Earth logo.