Abstract:In this paper we investigate families of iterated function systems (IFS) and conformal iterated function systems (CIFS) from a deformation point of view. Namely, we introduce the notion of Teichmüller space for finitely and infinitely generated (C)IFS and study its topological and metric properties. Firstly, we completely classify its boundary. In particular, we prove that this boundary essentially consists of inhomogeneous systems. Secondly, we equip Teichmüller space for (C)IFS with different metrics, an Euclidean, a hyperbolic, and a $\lambda$-metric. We then study continuity of the Hausdorff dimension function and the pressure function with respect to these metrics. We also show that the hyperbolic metric and the $\lambda$-metric induce topologies stronger than the non-metrizable $\lambda$-topology introduced by Roy and Urbanski and, therefore, provide an alternative to the $\lambda$-topology in the study of continuity of the Hausdorff dimension function and the pressure function. Finally, we investigate continuity properties of various limit sets associated with infinitely generated (C)IFS with respect to our metrics.
- Michael F. Barnsley, Lecture notes on iterated function systems, Chaos and fractals (Providence, RI, 1988) Proc. Sympos. Appl. Math., vol. 39, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1989, pp. 127–144. MR 1010239, DOI 10.1090/psapm/039/1010239
- Michael F. Barnsley, Fractals everywhere, 2nd ed., Academic Press Professional, Boston, MA, 1993. Revised with the assistance of and with a foreword by Hawley Rising, III. MR 1231795
- Michael Fielding Barnsley, Superfractals, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2006. MR 2254477, DOI 10.1017/CBO9781107590168
- T. Bedford, S. Borodachov, and J. S. Geronimo, A topological separation condition for fractal attractors, arXiv:0911.2126.
- M. F. Barnsley and S. Demko, Iterated function systems and the global construction of fractals, Proc. Roy. Soc. London Ser. A 399 (1985), no. 1817, 243–275. MR 799111
- M. F. Barnsley, J. S. Geronimo, and A. N. Harrington, Condensed Julia sets, with an application to a fractal lattice model Hamiltonian, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 288 (1985), no. 2, 537–561. MR 776392, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9947-1985-0776392-7
- Riccardo Benedetti and Carlo Petronio, Lectures on hyperbolic geometry, Universitext, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1992. MR 1219310, DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-58158-8
- M. Hille, Resonances for graph directed Markov systems, and geometry of infinitely generated dynamical systems, University of St. Andrews, 2009.
- —, Remarks on limit sets of infinite iterated function systems, Monatsh. Math., DOI 10.1007/s00605-011-0357-6 (2011).
- M. Hille and N. Snigireva, Teichmüller space for affine iterated function systems, in preparation.
- —, Teichmüller space for graph directed Markov systems, in preparation.
- John E. Hutchinson, Fractals and self-similarity, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 30 (1981), no. 5, 713–747. MR 625600, DOI 10.1512/iumj.1981.30.30055
- Marc Kesseböhmer and Bernd O. Stratmann, Refined measurable rigidity and flexibility for conformal iterated function systems, New York J. Math. 14 (2008), 33–51. MR 2383585
- Curtis T. McMullen and Dennis P. Sullivan, Quasiconformal homeomorphisms and dynamics. III. The Teichmüller space of a holomorphic dynamical system, Adv. Math. 135 (1998), no. 2, 351–395. MR 1620850, DOI 10.1006/aima.1998.1726
- R. Daniel Mauldin and Mariusz Urbański, Dimensions and measures in infinite iterated function systems, Proc. London Math. Soc. (3) 73 (1996), no. 1, 105–154. MR 1387085, DOI 10.1112/plms/s3-73.1.105
- L. Olsen and N. Snigireva, $L^q$ spectra and Rényi dimensions of in-homogeneous self-similar measures, Nonlinearity 20 (2007), no. 1, 151–175. MR 2285110, DOI 10.1088/0951-7715/20/1/010
- L. Olsen and N. Snigireva, In-homogenous self-similar measures and their Fourier transforms, Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 144 (2008), no. 2, 465–493. MR 2405903, DOI 10.1017/S0305004107000771
- L. Olsen and N. Snigireva, Multifractal spectra of in-homogenous self-similar measures, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 57 (2008), no. 4, 1789–1843. MR 2440882, DOI 10.1512/iumj.2008.57.3622
- Alberto A. Pinto, David A. Rand, and Flávio Ferreira, Fine structures of hyperbolic diffeomorphisms, Springer Monographs in Mathematics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2009. With a preface by Jacob Palis and Enrique R. Pujals. MR 2464147, DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-87525-3
- Mario Roy, Hiroki Sumi, and Mariusz Urbański, Lambda-topology versus pointwise topology, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems 29 (2009), no. 2, 685–713. MR 2486790, DOI 10.1017/S0143385708080292
- Mario Roy and Mariusz Urbański, Regularity properties of Hausdorff dimension in infinite conformal iterated function systems, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems 25 (2005), no. 6, 1961–1983. MR 2183304, DOI 10.1017/S0143385705000313
- Martial R. Hille
- Affiliation: Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Institut für Mathematik, Unter den Linden 6, D-10099 Berlin, Germany
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nina Snigireva
- Affiliation: Mathematical Sciences Institute, John Dedman Building 27, The Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200, Australia
- Email: Nina.Snigireva@anu.edu.au
- Received by editor(s): November 29, 2011
- Published electronically: May 8, 2012
- © Copyright 2012
American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.
- Journal: Conform. Geom. Dyn. 16 (2012), 132-160
- MSC (2010): Primary 37F45, 37F35, 37F40, 28A80
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S1088-4173-2012-00241-X
- MathSciNet review: 2915752