Abstract:It is shown that a large part of the cohomology of the classifying space of a Lie group satisfying certain hypotheses can be obtained by a difference construction from hermitian representations of that Lie group. This result is relevant to the study of Novikov’s higher signatures.
- P. Hebroni, Sur les inverses des éléments dérivables dans un anneau abstrait, C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris 209 (1939), 285–287 (French). MR 14, DOI 10.2307/1969728
- M. Gromov, Positive curvature, macroscopic dimension, spectral gaps and higher signatures, Functional analysis on the eve of the 21-st century, in honor of I. M. Gelfand, vol. II, Progr. in Math. 132, Birkhäuser, Boston, 1996.
- G. Lusztig, Novikov’s higher signature and families of elliptic operators, J. Diff. Geom. 7 (1971), 225-256.
- George Lusztig
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139
- MR Author ID: 117100
- Email: email@example.com
- Received by editor(s): August 13, 1996
- Received by editor(s) in revised form: August 21, 1996
- Published electronically: November 4, 1996
- Additional Notes: Supported in part by the National Science Foundation
- © Copyright 1997 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Represent. Theory 1 (1997), 31-36
- MSC (1991): Primary 20G99
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S1088-4165-97-00004-6
- MathSciNet review: 1429373