Abstract:A stable second-order unconstrained minimization algorithm with quadratic termination is given. The algorithm does not require any one-dimensional minimizations. Computational results presented indicate that the performance of this algorithm compares favorably with other well-known unconstrained minimization algorithms.
- R. Fletcher and M. J. D. Powell, A rapidly convergent descent method for minimization, Comput. J. 6 (1963/64), 163–168. MR 152116, DOI 10.1093/comjnl/6.2.163 B. A. Murtagh & R. W. H. Sargent, A Constrained Minimization Method With Quadratic Convergence, presented at the I. M. A. Conference on Optimization, held at the University of Keele, 1968. R. Fletcher, A New Approach to Variable Metric Algorithms, U.K.A.E.A. Report HL 69/4734.
- M. J. D. Powell, A survey of numerical methods for unconstrained optimization, SIAM Rev. 12 (1970), 79–97. MR 258253, DOI 10.1137/1012004
- H. H. Rosenbrock, An automatic method for finding the greatest or least value of a function, Comput. J. 3 (1960/61), 175–184. MR 136042, DOI 10.1093/comjnl/3.3.175
- H. W. Sorenson, Comparison of some conjugate direction procedures for function minimization, J. Franklin Inst. 288 (1969), 421–441. MR 255026, DOI 10.1016/0016-0032(69)90253-1 L. A. Zadeh & C. A. Desoer, Linear System Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1963. H. J. Kelley & G. E. Myers, Conjugate Direction Methods for Parameter Optimization, presented at the 18th Congress of the International Astronautical Federation, Belgrade, Yugoslavia, September 1967.
- © Copyright 1972 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Math. Comp. 26 (1972), 129-143
- MSC: Primary 90C30
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1972-0302191-0
- MathSciNet review: 0302191