Abstract:A correction is given for one of Chambers’ second-order iteration formulae. It is shown that composition of the secant method with itself exhibits a convergence exponent of 2.414, whereas composition of the iteration function with itself yields an exponent of 2.831.
- Ll. G. Chambers, A quadratic formula for finding the root of an equation, Math. Comp. 25 (1971), 305–307. MR 295559, DOI 10.1090/S0025-5718-1971-0295559-1
- M. G. Cox, A note on Chambers’ method for finding a zero of a function, Math. Comp. 26 (1972), 749–750. MR 327020, DOI 10.1090/S0025-5718-1972-0327020-0
- David M. Young and Robert Todd Gregory, A survey of numerical mathematics. Vol. I, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, Mass.-London-Don Mills, Ont., 1972. MR 0408188 We are indebted to the referee for suggesting this final comparison.
- © Copyright 1974 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Math. Comp. 28 (1974), 573-574
- MSC: Primary 65H05
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1974-0341850-2
- MathSciNet review: 0341850