The infinity norm of a certain type of symmetric circulant matrix
Abstract: An attainable bound for the infinity norm of the inverse of a whole class of symmetric circulant Toeplitz matrices is found. The class of matrices includes those arising from interpolation with both odd and even degree periodic polynomial splines on a uniform mesh.
-  Handbook of mathematical functions, with formulas, graphs, and mathematical tables, Edited by Milton Abramowitz and Irene A. Stegun, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1966. MR 0208797
-  J. H. Ahlberg, E. N. Nilson, and J. L. Walsh, The theory of splines and their applications, Academic Press, New York-London, 1967. MR 0239327
-  E. L. Albasiny and W. D. Hoskins, Explicit error bounds for periodic splines of odd order on a uniform mesh, J. Inst. Math. Appl. 12 (1973), 303–318. MR 0341800
-  W. D. Hoskins, Some properties of a certain class of circulant matrices, Proceedings of the Manitoba Conference on Numerical Mathematics (Univ. Manitoba, Winnipeg, Man., 1971) Dept. Comput. Sci., Univ. Manitoba, Winnipeg, Man., 1971, pp. 361–372. MR 0336162
-  W. D. Hoskins and D. S. Meek, Linear dependence relations for polynomial splines at midknots, Nordisk Tidskr. Informationsbehandling (BIT) 15 (1975), no. 3, 272–276. MR 0391470
-  D. S. MEEK, On the Numerical Construction and Approximation of Some Piecewise Polynomial Functions, Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Manitoba, Canada, 1973.
-  Thomas Muir, A treatise on the theory of determinants, Revised and enlarged by William H. Metzler, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1960. MR 0114826
-  Richard S. Varga, Matrix iterative analysis, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1962. MR 0158502
-  W. J. Kammerer, G. W. Reddien, and R. S. Varga, Quadratic interpolatory splines, Numer. Math. 22 (1974), 241–259. MR 0381235, https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01406966
- M. ABRAMOWITZ & I. A. STEGUN (Editors), Handbook of Mathematical Functions, With Formulas, Graphs and Mathematical Tables, Dover, New York, 1966. MR 34 #8606. MR 0208797 (34:8606)
- J. H. AHLBERG, E. N. NILSON & J. L. WALSH, The Theory of Splines and Their Applications, Academic Press, New York and London, 1967. MR 39 #684. MR 0239327 (39:684)
- E. L. ALBASINY & W. D. HOSKINS, "Explicit error bounds for periodic splines of odd order on a uniform mesh," J. Inst. Math. Appl., v. 12, 1973, pp. 303-318. MR 49 #6546. MR 0341800 (49:6546)
- W. D. HOSKINS, "Some properties of a certain class of circulant matrices," Proc. Manitoba Conf. on Numerical Mathematics, Univ. of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada, 1971, pp. 361-372. MR 49 #938. MR 0336162 (49:938)
- W. D. HOSKINS & D. S. MEEK, "Linear dependence relations for polynomial splines at midknots," BIT, v. 15, 1975, pp. 272-276. MR 52 #12291. MR 0391470 (52:12291)
- D. S. MEEK, On the Numerical Construction and Approximation of Some Piecewise Polynomial Functions, Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Manitoba, Canada, 1973.
- T. MUIR, A Treatise on the Theory of Determinants, rev. ed., Dover, New York, 1960. MR 22 #5644. MR 0114826 (22:5644)
- R. S. VARGA, Matrix Iterative Analysis, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1962. MR 28 #1725. MR 0158502 (28:1725)
- R. S. VARGA, W. J. KAMMERER & G. W. REDDIEN, "Quadratic interpolatory splines," Numer. Math., v. 22, 1974, pp. 241-259. MR 52 #2132. MR 0381235 (52:2132)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65F35
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65F35
Keywords: Infinity norm of circulant matrix, periodic polynomial splines
Article copyright: © Copyright 1977 American Mathematical Society