Abstract:An analysis of moving least squares (m.l.s.) methods for smoothing and interpolating scattered data is presented. In particular, theorems are proved concerning the smoothness of interpolants and the description of m.l.s. processes as projection methods. Some properties of compositions of the m.l.s. projector, with projectors associated with finiteelement schemes, are also considered. The analysis is accompanied by examples of univariate and bivariate problems.
- Robert E. Barnhill, Representation and approximation of surfaces, Mathematical software, III (Proc. Sympos., Math. Res. Center, Univ. Wisconsin, Madison, Wis., 1977) Publ. Math. Res. Center Univ. Wisconsin, No. 39, Academic Press, New York, 1977, pp. 69–120. MR 0489081 R. W. Clough & J. L. Tocher, "Finite element stiffness matrices for analysis of plates in bending," in Proc. Conf. Matrix Methods in Structural Mechanics, Wright-Patterson A.F.B., Ohio, 1965.
- Richard Franke and Greg Nielson, Smooth interpolation of large sets of scattered data, Internat. J. Numer. Methods Engrg. 15 (1980), no. 11, 1691–1704. MR 593596, DOI 10.1002/nme.1620151110
- William J. Gordon and James A. Wixom, Shepard’s method of “metric interpolation” to bivariate and multivariate interpolation, Math. Comp. 32 (1978), no. 141, 253–264. MR 458027, DOI 10.1090/S0025-5718-1978-0458027-6
- Peter Lancaster, Moving weighted least-squares methods, Polynomial and spline approximation (Proc. NATO Adv. Study Inst., Univ. Calgary, Calgary, Alta., 1978) NATO Adv. Study Inst. Ser. C: Math. Phys. Sci., vol. 49, Reidel, Dordrecht-Boston, Mass., 1979, pp. 103–120. MR 545641
- Peter Lancaster, Composite methods for generating surfaces, Polynomial and spline approximation (Proc. NATO Adv. Study Inst., Univ. Calgary, Calgary, Alta., 1978) NATO Adv. Study Inst. Ser. C: Math. Phys. Sci., vol. 49, Reidel, Dordrecht-Boston, Mass., 1979, pp. 91–102. MR 545640 D. H. Mclain, "Drawing contours from arbitrary data points," Comput. J., v. 17, 1974, pp. 318-324.
- Lois Mansfield, Higher order compatible triangular finite elements, Numer. Math. 22 (1974), 89–97. MR 351040, DOI 10.1007/BF01436723
- M. J. D. Powell and M. A. Sabin, Piecewise quadratic approximations on triangles, ACM Trans. Math. Software 3 (1977), no. 4, 316–325. MR 483304, DOI 10.1145/355759.355761 S. Ritchie, Representation of Surfaces by Finite Elements, M.Sc. Thesis, University of Calgary, 1978. D. Shepard, A Two-Dimensional Interpolation Function for Irregularly Spaced Points, Proc. 1968 A.C.M. Nat. Conf., pp. 517-524.
- © Copyright 1981 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Math. Comp. 37 (1981), 141-158
- MSC: Primary 65D05; Secondary 41A05, 41A63
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1981-0616367-1
- MathSciNet review: 616367