Additive Runge-Kutta methods for stiff ordinary differential equations
Authors: G. J. Cooper and A. Sayfy
Journal: Math. Comp. 40 (1983), 207-218
MSC: Primary 65L05
MathSciNet review: 679441
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: Certain pairs of Runge-Kutta methods may be used additively to solve a system of n differential equations $x’ = J(t)x + g(t,x)$. Pairs of methods, of order $p \leqslant 4$, where one method is semiexplicit and A-stable and the other method is explicit, are obtained. These methods require the LU factorization of one $n \times n$ matrix, and p evaluations of g, in each step. It is shown that such methods have a stability property which is similar to a stability property of perturbed linear differential equations.
- J. C. Butcher, On the convergence of numerical solutions to ordinary differential equations, Math. Comp. 20 (1966), 1–10. MR 189251, DOI https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1966-0189251-X
- G. J. Cooper and A. Sayfy, Additive methods for the numerical solution of ordinary differential equations, Math. Comp. 35 (1980), no. 152, 1159–1172. MR 583492, DOI https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1980-0583492-2
- G. J. Cooper and A. Sayfy, Semiexplicit $A$-stable Runge-Kutta methods, Math. Comp. 33 (1979), no. 146, 541–556. MR 521275, DOI https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1979-0521275-1
- C. W. Gear, The automatic integration of stiff ordinary differential equations., Information Processing 68 (Proc. IFIP Congress, Edinburgh, 1968) North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1969, pp. 187–193. MR 0260180
- Wolfgang Hahn, Stability of motion, Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, Band 138, Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., New York, 1967. Translated from the German manuscript by Arne P. Baartz. MR 0223668
- Syvert P. Nørsett, $C$-polynomials for rational approximation to the exponential function, Numer. Math. 25 (1975/76), no. 1, 39–56. MR 410189, DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01419527
J. C. Butcher, "On the convergence of numerical solutions to ordinary differential equations," Math. Comp., v. 20, 1966, pp. 1-10.
G. J. Cooper & A. Sayfy, "Additive methods for the numerical solution of ordinary differential equations," Math. Comp., v. 35, 1980, pp. 1159-1172.
G. J. Cooper & A. Sayfy, "Semiexplicit A-stable Runge-Kutta methods," Math. Comp., v. 33, 1979, pp. 541-556.
C. W. Gear, "The automatic integration of stiff ordinary differential equations," Proc. IFIP Congress, 1968, pp. 81-85.
W. Hahn, Stability of Motion, Springer-Verlag, Berlin and New York, 1967.
S. P. Norsett, "C-polynomials for rational approximation to the exponential function," Numer. Math., v. 25, 1975, pp. 39-56.
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65L05
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65L05