Abstract:For autonomous Lotka-Volterra systems modelling the dynamics of $N$ competing species, a new condition has been found to prevent a particular species from dying out. Based on this condition, criteria have been established for all or some of the $N$ species to stabilise at a steady state whilst the others, if any, die out.
- Shair Ahmad, On the nonautonomous Volterra-Lotka competition equations, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 117 (1993), no. 1, 199–204. MR 1143013, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9939-1993-1143013-3
- S. Ahmad and A. C. Lazer. One Species Extinction in an Autonomous Competition Model, Proc. Fisrt World Congress on Nonlinear Analysis, Walter DeGruyter, Berlin, 1995.
- Shair Ahmad and A. C. Lazer, On the nonautonomous $n$-competing species problems, Appl. Anal. 57 (1995), no. 3-4, 309–323. MR 1384377, DOI 10.1080/00036819508840353
- K. Gopalsamy, Stability and oscillations in delay differential equations of population dynamics, Mathematics and its Applications, vol. 74, Kluwer Academic Publishers Group, Dordrecht, 1992. MR 1163190, DOI 10.1007/978-94-015-7920-9
- K. Gopalsamy and R. A. Ahlip, Time delays in $n$-species competition. I. Global stability in constant environments, Bull. Austral. Math. Soc. 27 (1983), no. 3, 427–441. MR 715320, DOI 10.1017/S0004972700025934
- M. Kaykobad, Positive solutions of positive linear systems, Linear Algebra Appl. 64 (1985), 133–140. MR 776521, DOI 10.1016/0024-3795(85)90271-X
- F. Montes de Oca and M. L. Zeeman, Balancing survival and extinction in nonautonomous competitive Lotka-Volterra systems, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 192 (1995), no. 2, 360–370. MR 1332215, DOI 10.1006/jmaa.1995.1177
- Francisco Montes de Oca and Mary Lou Zeeman, Extinction in nonautonomous competitive Lotka-Volterra systems, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 124 (1996), no. 12, 3677–3687. MR 1327029, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9939-96-03355-2
- M. L. Zeeman, Extinction in competitive Lotka-Volterra systems, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 123 (1995), no. 1, 87–96. MR 1264833, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9939-1995-1264833-2
- P. van den Driessche and M. L. Zeeman. Three-Dimensional Competitive Lotka-Volterra Systems with no Periodic Obits, SIAM J. Appl. Math. 58 (1998), 227–234.
- Received by editor(s): February 19, 1998
- Published electronically: May 17, 1999
- Communicated by: Michael Handel
- © Copyright 1999 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 127 (1999), 3633-3642
- MSC (1991): Primary 34D45; Secondary 34A26, 92D25
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-99-05204-1
- MathSciNet review: 1646192