Abstract:S. Eilenberg and G. M. Kelly have defined a closed category as a category with internal homomorphism functor, left Yoneda natural arrows, unity object and suitable coherence axioms. A monoidal closed category is a closed category with an associative tensor product which is adjoint to the int-hom. This paper proves that a closed category can be embedded in a monoidal closed category: the embedding preserves any associative tensor product which may exist. Besides the usual tools of the theory of closed categories the proof uses the results of B. Day on promonoidal structures.
- Jean Bénabou, Catégories avec multiplication, C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris 256 (1963), 1887–1890 (French). MR 148719 B. Day, Construction of biclosed categories, Thesis, University of South Wales, 1970.
- Brian Day, On closed categories of functors, Reports of the Midwest Category Seminar, IV, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 137, Springer, Berlin, 1970, pp. 1–38. MR 0272852
- Samuel Eilenberg and G. Max Kelly, Closed categories, Proc. Conf. Categorical Algebra (La Jolla, Calif., 1965) Springer, New York, 1966, pp. 421–562. MR 0225841
- Samuel Eilenberg and G. M. Kelly, A generalization of the functorial calculus, J. Algebra 3 (1966), 366–375. MR 190204, DOI 10.1016/0021-8693(66)90006-8
- G. M. Kelly, On MacLane’s conditions for coherence of natural associativities, commutativities, etc, J. Algebra 1 (1964), 397–402. MR 182649, DOI 10.1016/0021-8693(64)90018-3
- G. M. Kelly and S. Mac Lane, Coherence in closed categories, J. Pure Appl. Algebra 1 (1971), no. 1, 97–140. MR 283045, DOI 10.1016/0022-4049(71)90013-2
- Saunders Mac Lane, Natural associativity and commutativity, Rice Univ. Stud. 49 (1963), no. 4, 28–46. MR 170925
- Saunders MacLane, Categories for the working mathematician, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, Vol. 5, Springer-Verlag, New York-Berlin, 1971. MR 0354798
- © Copyright 1977 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 233 (1977), 85-91
- MSC: Primary 18D15
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1977-0480686-8
- MathSciNet review: 0480686