Abstract:We consider nth order homogeneous linear ordinary differential equations whose coefficients have an asymptotic expansion as $x \to \infty$ in terms of real powers of x and are analytic in sectors of the complex plane. In earlier work Bank (Funkcial. Ekvac. 11 (1968), 87-100) developed a method for reading off the asymptotic behavior of solutions directly from the equation, except in certain cases where roots asymptotically coalesce. For our results, we consider coefficients in a field of the type developed by Strodt (Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 105 (1962), 229-250). By successive algebraic transforms, we show that an equation in the exceptional case can be reduced to the nonexceptional case and so the asymptotic behavior of the solutions can be read from the equation. This generalizes the classical results when $\infty$ is a singular point and the coefficients are analytic in neighborhoods of $\infty$. The strength of our results is that the coefficients need not be defined in a full neighborhood of $\infty$, and that the asymptotic behavior can be read directly from the equation.
- Steven Bank, An asymptotic analog of the Fuchs regularity theorem, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 16 (1966), 138–151. MR 212242, DOI 10.1016/0022-247X(66)90192-2
- Steven Bank, On the instability theory of differential polynomials, Ann. Mat. Pura Appl. (4) 74 (1966), 83–111. MR 204785, DOI 10.1007/BF02416451
- Steven Bank, On the asymptotic behavior of solutions near an irregular singularity, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 18 (1967), 15–21. MR 212243, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9939-1967-0212243-1 —, On nth order equations having critical degree $n\, - \,2$, Ann. Mat. Pura Appl. 77 (1967), 193-206.
- Steven Bank, On the structure of a fundamental set of solutions near an irregular singularity, Funkcial. Ekvac. 11 (1968), 87–100. MR 240404
- Walter Strodt, Contributions to the asymptotic theory of ordinary differential equations in the complex domain, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc. 13 (1954), 81. MR 67290
- Walter Strodt, On the algebraic closure of certain partially ordered fields, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 105 (1962), 229–250. MR 140514, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9947-1962-0140514-6
- Ken-iti Takahasi, Analytic reduction of a system of differential equations to a normal form, Comment. Math. Univ. St. Paul. 22 (1973/74), no. 2, 57–94. MR 340686
- © Copyright 1979 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 255 (1979), 91-110
- MSC: Primary 34A20; Secondary 34E05
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1979-0542872-X
- MathSciNet review: 542872