Abstract:A brief exposition of the Teichmüller and earthquake theory is given for the once punctured torus. Using these ideas, computer plots, of the tessellation of Teichmüller space by the mapping class group and of the earthquake paths leaving a point, were generated. The algorithms for generating the plots are discussed.
- William Abikoff, The real analytic theory of Teichmüller space, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 820, Springer, Berlin, 1980. MR 590044 R. Fricke and F. Klein, Vorlesungen über die Theorie der Automorphen Funktionen, Teubner, Leipzig, 1912; Johnson Reprint, 1965.
- Linda Keen, On fundamental domains and the Teichmüller modular group, Contributions to analysis (a collection of papers dedicated to Lipman Bers), Academic Press, New York, 1974, pp. 185–194. MR 0364631
- Steven P. Kerckhoff, The Nielsen realization problem, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 2 (1980), no. 3, 452–454. MR 561531, DOI 10.1090/S0273-0979-1980-14764-3 W. Thurston, On the geometry and topology of $3$-manifolds, Princeton Univ. Notes.
- Scott Wolpert, The Fenchel-Nielsen deformation, Ann. of Math. (2) 115 (1982), no. 3, 501–528. MR 657237, DOI 10.2307/2007011 —, On the symplectic geometry of deformations of a hyperbolic surface, preprint. —, On the Kähler form of the moduli space of once punctured tori, preprint.
- © Copyright 1983 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 278 (1983), 157-167
- MSC: Primary 32G15; Secondary 30F20
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1983-0697067-7
- MathSciNet review: 697067