We update this Privacy Statement from time to time so please review this Privacy Statement regularly. If we materially alter our Privacy Statement, we will notify you of such changes by posting a notice on our website and/or contacting you at the e-mail address provided to us. Your continued use of the website will be deemed your agreement that your information may be used in accordance with the new policy. If you do not agree with the changes, then you should stop using the website, and you should notify us that you do not want your information used in accordance with the changes.
Information We Collect
Collection of Information
In operating our website, we may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you provide to us when you submit a Membership Application or otherwise register on our website, including your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, institution affiliation, credit card number, checking account number, customer code, gender or date of birth, as well as the category of membership you choose.
- Information you provide to us when you create a MathSciNet Author Profile page, including your name, photograph, e-mail address, URL, and publication information.
- Information you provide to us when you sign up to be a reviewer for MathSciNet, including your name, postal address, photograph, e-mail address, and your area(s) of interest.
- Information provided to us when you communicate with us for any reason.
- Information you provide to us as an author so that we may process any royalty payments, including your social security number or the equivalent.
This personal information is collected and used by AMS staff for the purpose of facilitating a relationship or business transaction.
By submitting a telephone number to us you agree that a representative of the AMS may contact you at the number you provide, potentially using automated technology (including texts/SMS messaging) or a pre-recorded message. Your consent is not an obligation to receive any of our products and/or services.
Information is also collected by the AMS web server and is used to compile general website usage statistics, to supply statistics to institutions regarding use of the AMS's electronic products, to analyze and improve the performance of the website, general administration of the website, to facilitate access to restricted website services or to verify access rights to AMS products that require license agreements, such as AMS Electronic Journals and MathSciNet.
Such information includes:
- IP address of computer
- Browser-related information
- Locations visited on the website
- HTTP cookies
An IP address may be considered personal information in certain countries, including the EEA (defined below). The AMS does not use this information to identify a person; however we may use and disclose it as necessary in the event of a security concern or incident. This information is deleted when no longer needed for our business purposes.
How We Use and Disclose Your Information
The information that we collect and store relating to you is primarily used to enable us to provide our services to you in the best possible manner. The use of your personal information in the following ways is necessary for the legitimate interests of the AMS:
- To provide you with information relating to our services;
- To provide third parties with statistical information about the users of our website;
- To monitor and conduct an analysis of our website traffic and usage patterns;
- As necessary in order to investigate, respond to, and address any issues raised by, any complaint made by you;
- As otherwise stated when your information was provided or collected; and/or
- As otherwise required to enforce the terms of any contract between you and us or to comply with legal or regulatory obligations or requests.
- To analyze trends.
Where applicable, we may disclose your personal information to any affiliated business entities or third parties who use your personal information to provide services to us. This includes third parties involved in the administration and operation of our services. We may also disclose your personal information to other third parties, such as:
- Where we sell any or all of our business and/or our assets to a third-party, whether through bankruptcy proceedings or other sale or merger.
- To auditors, contractors or other advisors auditing any of our business processes.
- Where we are legally required to disclose your information.
- When we are contractually obligated to disclose it.
Where required, processing performed by anyone other than AMS will be governed by a data processing agreement in the form required by law, preserving any and all of your statutory data protection rights.
The AMS does not sell, trade or rent e-mail addresses to other organizations, or use or disclose them for marketing purposes, except as described below. Certain e-mail addresses may be published in both print and electronic AMS publications including the AMS website. The AMS may generate e-mail for the following types of communication:
- Notification e-mail to which the individual may subscribe and unsubscribe.
- Transactional e-mail, which is the result of a business transaction initiated with the AMS.
- Relationship e-mail, which is sent as an informational service because of a relationship with the AMS.
- Commercial e-mail, which is sent to promote an AMS product or service (You may opt not to receive this type of e-mail).
- Correspondence from AMS staff as a result of a communication initiated by a member or customer.
Email that has a provision for opt-out will include instructions on how to do so. All inquiries regarding subscription-based e-mails should be directed to the AMS Sales and Member Services department (see AMS contact information below).
Postal mailing lists, comprised of full name and postal address, may be rented to other organizations (e.g. professional societies and/or commercial publishers) for one-time promotional or informational use. Promotional or informational materials are subject to AMS approval prior to the rental. E-mail addresses are not included in mailing lists.
The AMS may occasionally send informational or promotional materials to members and customers. You may choose to exclude yourself from all, none, or only non-AMS mailings by contacting the Sales and Member Services department (see AMS contact information below) or by changing your privacy preferences in your AMS account.
To secure your information, we have put in place commercially suitable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect on our website.
Specifically, for those accessing our website from the EEA and North America, (i) the AMS website resides behind a firewall uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer, the industry-standard security protocol used to communicate with browsers) to transmit personal information; (ii) data is strongly encrypted during transmission to so that personal and payment information is secure; (iii) industry-standard data encryption techniques are used to protect personal information on AMS computers; and (iv) SSL-capable browsers typically have a symbol on the browser window to indicate when they are in a secure mode. In addition, the URL will begin with "https:" for all browsers. Access may be different if a user is accessing from a country outside the EEA and North America.
Nonetheless, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and therefore we cannot guarantee the security of data sent to us electronically on our website, and transmission of such data is therefore entirely at your own risk.
Social Security Numbers
We take commercially reasonable security measures in regards to our collection, storage, and disposal of Social Security numbers. We regularly review our physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to so that they protect the confidentiality and prohibit unlawful disclosure of Social Security numbers. We limit access to Social Security numbers to only those persons with a legitimate business purpose.
A "cookie" is a piece of text which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, this cookie file is stored on the hard drive of your computer. They present the content from our website in the most effective manner for you and your computer. When you use the website, cookies are set and accessed by or on our behalf for a number of purposes, including to:
- access your information when you "sign in" to our website so that we can provide you with customised content;
- identify you as a registered user of our website intended for a specific purposes so that you are able to use the website for its intended purpose(s) without having to re-enter your information each time you do so;
- keep track of preferences you specify while you are using the AMS' services;
- estimate and report our total audience size and traffic;
- conduct research to improve our website, our content and services; and/or
- require you to re-enter your AMS password after a certain period of time has elapsed to protect you against others accidentally accessing your account contents.
All browsers have the ability to decline cookies. This can be done by activating the setting on your browser which enables you to decline the cookies. Please note that should you choose to decline cookies, you may be unable to access particular parts of our website.
Third-Party Agents and Websites
The AMS uses third-party agents for several business purposes, including credit card validation, hotel registration, and shipping. These agents are permitted to use your personal information only to provide the AMS with a specific service and not for any other purpose. Please contact the AMS Sales and Member Services department (see AMS contact information below) if you believe this policy has been violated.
Additionally, please note that the only domain covered by the AMS Privacy Statement is ams.org. The AMS website may contain links to other sites; however, the AMS is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of those third-party websites. By accessing third-party websites through our website, you are consenting to the terms and privacy policies of those websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies whatsoever as we have no control over them.
Several public forums are hosted on the AMS website. The inherent public nature of these forums dictates that the AMS assumes no responsibility for protecting the information disclosed on them by users. Please exercise caution when disclosing personal information in public forums.
Transfer / use of information outside the European Economic Area
Since the AMS operates globally, AMS may collect or receive information from individuals in Switzerland or the European Economic Area ("EEA"), which currently comprises the member states of the European Union plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.
AMS is committed to having a lawful basis for data transfers from the EEA and Switzerland to the US in compliance with applicable data protection laws.
For some contracted services, we use the European Commission's ("EC") standard contractual clauses commonly known as "model clauses." These model clauses are contract templates developed by the EC as a mechanism for contracting parties to legalize the cross-border transfer of personal data from the EEA and Switzerland.
Please note that the model clauses will apply to the extent there is not another legal basis in place to validate the transfer of personal data from the EEA to the U.S.
To learn more about the EC's model clauses, please visit http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/international-transfers/transfer/index_en.htm.
AMS has further committed to refer unresolved complaints to JAMS Mediation and Arbitrators ("JAMS"), an alternative dispute resolution provider located in the U.S. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint from us, or if we have not addressed your complaint to your satisfaction, please contact or visit https://www.jamsadr.com for more information or to file a complaint. The services of JAMS are provided at no cost to you.
Users Only of Legal Age of Majority
Our website is designed and intended for those who have reached the age of majority (18 years of age). By using our website, you affirm that you are at least 18 years of age or older. We are not liable for any damages that may result from a user's misrepresentation of age.
No one under age 13 is authorized to submit or post any information, including personally identifying information, on our website. Under no circumstances may anyone under age 13 use our website. Parents or legal guardians of children under 13 cannot agree to these terms on their behalf.
Your Rights Regarding your Personal Information
You have the right to access the personal information that is held about you by the AMS.
You also have the right to ask us to correct any inaccurate personal information we hold about you, to delete personal information, or otherwise restrict our processing, or to object to processing or to receive an electronic copy of the personal information you provided to us.
Please note that should you decide to provide us with your personal information and agree to have it published, you may request that we alter or delete your personal information prior to publication, but once a work is published in print or on our website, your personal information may not be altered or deleted. Additionally, your personal information may be re-released by others who have accessed your works, and is therefore no longer under control of the AMS and therefore cannot be altered or deleted.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at:
- Contact AMS Sales and Member Services department (see contact information below);
- Through your AMS Web Account;
- By updating your AMS Membership Directory
When contacting use, please provide your name, address and any works in question. We would be grateful if you could also provide brief details relating to your personal information, as these help us to more readily locate your data. For your safety, proof of identity will be required before responding to any request in this section.
We welcome you to contact us with any queries, comments, complaints or requests you may have regarding this Privacy Statement.
You can contact the AMS Sales and Member Services department in several ways:
- By email: privacy-request (at) ams (dot) org
- By postal service:
American Mathematical Society
Attn: Sales and Member Services
201 Charles St. Providence, RI 02904-2213 USA
- By telephone: 800-321-4267 (US and Canada) or 401-455-4000 (worldwide)
- By fax: 401-455-4046
Effective Date: May 24, 2018