Abstract:Given an oriented fiber bundle $M$ whose fiber is a connected, $m$-dimensional manifold, and a codimension $n$ foliation of $M$ which is transverse to the fibers of $M$ and all of whose leaves are compact, we will show that there is an upper bound on the orders of the holonomy groups of the leaves.
- K. deCesare and T. Nagano, On compact foliations, Differential geometry (Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., Vol. XXVII, Part 1, Stanford Univ., Stanford, Calif., 1973) Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R.I., 1975, pp. 277–281. MR 0377924 R. Edwards, K. Millet and D. Sullivan, On foliations with compact leaves (to appear).
- A. G. Kurosh, The theory of groups, Chelsea Publishing Co., New York, 1960. Translated from the Russian and edited by K. A. Hirsch. 2nd English ed. 2 volumes. MR 0109842 D. Montgomery and C. T. Yang (personal communication).
- Deane Montgomery and Leo Zippin, Topological transformation groups, Interscience Publishers, New York-London, 1955. MR 0073104 D. Sullivan, A counterexample to the compact leaf conjecture (to appear).
- © Copyright 1976 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 59 (1976), 381-382
- MSC: Primary 57D30
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1976-0418120-0
- MathSciNet review: 0418120