Mary P. Dolciani Prize Selection Committee
- Committee is standing
- Number of members is three
- Term is four years.
- Members are appointed by the President
The AMS Mary P. Dolciani Prize for Excellence in Research recognizes a mathematician from a department that does not grant a Ph.D. who has an active research program in mathematics and a distinguished record of scholarship. The primary criterion for the prize is an active research program as evidenced by a strong record of peer-reviewed publications. Additional selection criteria may include the following:
- Evidence of a robust research program involving undergraduate students in mathematics;
- Demonstrated success in mentoring undergraduates whose work leads to peer reviewed publication, poster presentations, or conference presentations;
- Membership in the AMS at the time of nomination and receipt of the award is preferred but not required.
The prize amount is $5000. The prize will be awarded every other year for five award cycles.
The committee recommends a winner and communicates this recommendation to the Secretary for approval by the Executive Committee of the Council. The committee recommendation should include a written citation for the nominee.
Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
(as adopted by the April 2019 Council)
The American Mathematical Society is committed to promoting and facilitating equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the mathematical sciences. For its own long-term prosperity as well as that of the public at large, our discipline must connect with and appropriately incorporate all sectors of society. We reaffirm the pledge in the AMS Mission Statement to "advance the status of the profession of mathematics, encouraging and facilitating full participation of all individuals," and urge all members to conduct their professional activities with this goal in mind.
The business of this committee can be done by email or videoconference.
Note to the Chair
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- 09 January 2018 Council, Item 4.6.3: Prize, selection committee and charge were created.
- 24 April 2021 Council, Item 6.8: Added the Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
A list of current and past members is available at: