Stable difference schemes with uneven mesh spacings
Math. Comp. 25 (1971), 219-227
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: We consider a finite-difference approximation to the Cauchy problem for a firstorder hyperbolic partial differential equation using different mesh spacings in different portions of the domain. By reformulating our problem as a difference approximation to an initial-boundary value problem, we are able to use the theory of H. O. Kreiss and S. Osher to analyze the stability of our scheme.
M. Ciment, Stable Difference Schemes With Uneven Mesh Spacings, A.E.C. Research and Development Report #NYO-1480-100, Ph.D. Thesis, New York University, New York, 1968.
Isaacson and Herbert
Bishop Keller, Analysis of numerical methods, John Wiley &
Sons, Inc., New York-London-Sydney, 1966. MR 0201039
Kreiss, Difference approximations for the initial-boundary value
problem for hyperbolic differential equations, Numerical Solutions of
Nonlinear Differential Equations (Proc. Adv. Sympos., Madison, Wis., 1966)
John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1966, pp. 141–166. MR 0214305
Kreiss, Stability theory for difference
approximations of mixed initial boundary value problems. I, Math. Comp. 22 (1968), 703–714. MR 0241010
(39 #2355), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1968-0241010-7
D. Lax and Burton
Wendroff, Difference schemes for hyperbolic equations with high
order of accuracy, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 17 (1964),
381–398. MR 0170484
Osher, Systems of difference equations with
general homogeneous boundary conditions, Trans.
Amer. Math. Soc. 137 (1969), 177–201. MR 0237982
(38 #6259), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1969-0237982-4
D. Richtmyer and K.
W. Morton, Difference methods for initial-value problems,
Second edition. Interscience Tracts in Pure and Applied Mathematics, No. 4,
Interscience Publishers John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New
York-London-Sydney, 1967. MR 0220455
- M. Ciment, Stable Difference Schemes With Uneven Mesh Spacings, A.E.C. Research and Development Report #NYO-1480-100, Ph.D. Thesis, New York University, New York, 1968.
- E. Isaacson & H. B. Keller, Analysis of Numerical Methods, Wiley, New York, 1966. MR 34 # 924. MR 0201039 (34:924)
- H. O. Kreiss, Difference Approximations for Initial-Boundary Value Problems for Hyperbolic Differential Equations, Proc. Adv. Sympos. Numerical Solutions of Partial Differential Equations (Madison, Wis., 1965), Wiley, New York, 1966, pp. 141-166. MR 35 #5156. MR 0214305 (35:5156)
- H. O. Kreiss, "Stability theory for difference approximations of mixed initial boundary value problems. I," Math. Comp., v. 22, 1968, pp. 703-714. MR 39 #2355. MR 0241010 (39:2355)
- P. D. Lax & B. Wendroff, "Difference schemes for hyperbolic equations with higher order accuracy," Comm. Pure Appl. Math., v. 17, 1964, 381-398. MR 30 #722. MR 0170484 (30:722)
- S. Osher, "Systems of difference equations with general homogeneous boundary conditions," Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., v. 137, 1969, pp. 177-201. MR 38 #6259. MR 0237982 (38:6259)
- R. D. Richtmyer & K. W. Morton, Difference Methods for Initial Value Problems, 2nd ed., Interscience Tracts in Pure and Appl. Math., no. 4, Interscience, New York, 1967. MR 36 #3515. MR 0220455 (36:3515)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation
Retrieve articles in all journals
mixed initial-boundary value problems,
© Copyright 1971
American Mathematical Society