Here's what's happening:
AMS BIG Career Development and Job Search Workshops
The AMS BIG Career Development (ABCD) Workshops at AMS sectional meetings provide networking, informational sessions with BIG people, resume consultations, and other activities.
ABCD Workshops are being planned for the Spring 2020 Southeastern and Eastern Sectionals. They are:
Read about the BIG Career Development workshop held at the University of Wisconsin--Madison in conjunction with the Fall 2019 AMS sectional meeting.
- In collaboration with SIAM (Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics) we're producing a series of live web-based interviews by graduate students, for graduate students interested in learning about career possibilities in BIG settings (business, entrepreneurship, industry, government, nonprofits, etc.). Mathematicians who work in these arenas will be interviewed by one of the 2020 hosts.
- Our next interview will take place on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 with Dr. Helen Moore, Director of Applied Mathematics, Applied BioMath who will be interviewed by host Sarah Minucci. You can register for "Talking "BIG" Jobs with Dr. Helen Moore" to join the conversation and submit questions live.
- The second conversation took place on January 15, 2020 with Dr. Stephanie Fitchett, Data Scientist at Transamerica, interviewed by host Katie Waddle. Sign in to view the free recording: "Talking "BIG" Jobs with Dr. Stephanie Fitchett, Data Scientist at Transamerica." The edited version is forthcoming.
- The first interview took place on November 13, 2019 with Sumanth Swaminathan, Co-founder and CEO, Iterex Therapeutics, interviewed by host Sarah Minucci. The interview with Sumanth Swaminathan can be viewed here: "Talking “BIG” Jobs with Sumanth Swaminathan."
- BIG Career Data
- We're currently gathering data on career arcs of 1,300 PhD mathematicians who graduated 10 years ago. We expect to make this data available in 2020. Preliminary findings indicate that nearly 25% of the graduates from a decade ago now work in BIG environments. This work is in collaboration with SIAM (Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics).
January 15–18, 2020
Colorado Convention Center
Booths 938 & 940
Students and others contemplating a career in a BIG setting can talk face to face with mathematicians working in BIG settings. Job seekers can share their resumes for viewing by employers.
- Our work is funded in part by a generous gift from Philippe and Claire-Lise Tondeur
- Philippe Tondeur has long worked to connect rising mathematicians with BIG career opportunities and we are pleased to use his support in conjunction with SIAM, MAA, ASA, and other participants of the BIG Math Network which coordinates these Tondeur-supported activities.