On comparing Adams and natural spline multistep formulas
Abstract: This paper presents two techniques for the comparison of Adams formulas and methods based on natural splines. A rigorous foundation to the claim that a pth order natural spline formula produces better results than a pth order Adams method, but not quite as good as a st order Adams formula is given for , which suggests the general case.
-  George D. Andria, George D. Byrne, and David R. Hill, Integration formulas and schemes based on 𝑔-splines, Math. Comp. 27 (1973), 831–838; addendum, ibid. 27 (1973), no. 124, loose microfiche supplement, A1–C4. MR 0339460, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1973-0339460-5
-  L. Fox, The numerical solution of two-point boundary problems in ordinary differential equations, Oxford University Press, New York, 1957. MR 0102178
-  Peter Henrici, Discrete variable methods in ordinary differential equations, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York-London, 1962. MR 0135729
-  D. R. HILL, An Approach to the Numerical Solution of Delay Differential Equations, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Pittsburgh, 1973.
-  T. E. Hull and A. C. R. Newbery, Corrector formulas for multi-step integration methods, J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math. 10 (1962), 351–369. MR 0152150
-  Leon Lapidus and John H. Seinfeld, Numerical solution of ordinary differential equations, Mathematics in Science and Engineering, Vol. 74, Academic Press, New York-London, 1971. MR 0281355
- G. D. ANDRIA, G. D. BYRNE & D. R. HILL, "Integration formulas and schemes based on g-splines," Math. Comp., v. 27, 1973, pp. 831-838; with microfiche supplement in Addendum Section. MR 0339460 (49:4219)
- L. FOX, The Numerical Solution of Two-Point Boundary Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations, Oxford Univ. Press, New York, 1957. MR 21 #972. MR 0102178 (21:972)
- P. HENRICI, Discrete Variable Methods in Ordinary Differential Equations, Wiley, New York, 1962. MR 24 #B1772. MR 0135729 (24:B1772)
- D. R. HILL, An Approach to the Numerical Solution of Delay Differential Equations, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Pittsburgh, 1973.
- T. E. HULL & A. C. R. NEWBERY, "Corrector formulas for multi-step integration methods," J. Soc. Indust. Appl. Math., v. 10, 1962, pp. 351-369. MR 27 #2130. MR 0152150 (27:2130)
- L. LAPIDUS & J. H. SEINFELD, Numerical Solution of Ordinary Differential Equations, Math. in Sci. and Engineering, vol. 74, Academic Press, New York, 1971. MR 43 #7073. MR 0281355 (43:7073)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65L05
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65L05