Common zeros of two Bessel functions
T. C. Benton and H. D. Knoble
Math. Comp. 32 (1978), 533-535
Primary 33A40; Secondary 65D20
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: There is a theorem that two Bessel functions and can have no common positive zeros if is an integer and where m is an integer, but this does not preclude the possibility that for unrestricted real positive and not differing by an integer, the two functions and can have common zeros. An example is found where two such functions have two positive zeros in common.
P. Brent, An algorithm with guaranteed convergence for finding a
zero of a function, Comput. J. 14 (1971),
422–425. MR 0339475
W. GAUTSCHI, "Algorithm 236, Bessel functions of the first kind," Comm. ACM, v. 7, 1964, pp. 479-480.
HARVARD COMPUTATION LABORATORY, Tables of Bessel Functions, 1947-1951 Annals, vols. III-XIV, Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, Mass.
W. J. Olver, A further method for the evaluation of zeros of Bessel
functions and some new asymptotic expansions for zeros of functions of
large order, Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 47 (1951),
699–712. MR 0043551
Bessel functions. Part III: Zeros and associated values, Royal
Society Mathematical Tables, Vol. 7. Prepared under the direction of the
Bessel Functions Panel of the Mathematical Tables Committee, Cambridge
University Press, New York, 1960. MR 0119441
N. Watson, A Treatise on the Theory of Bessel Functions,
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England, 1944. MR 0010746
- R. P. BRENT, "An algorithm with guaranteed convergence for finding a zero of a function," Comput. J., v. 14, 1971, pp. 422-425; in particular see the FORTRAN implementation entitled "ZBRENT" by International Mathematical and Statistical Libraries, Inc., 5th ed., Houston, 1975. MR 0339475 (49:4234)
- W. GAUTSCHI, "Algorithm 236, Bessel functions of the first kind," Comm. ACM, v. 7, 1964, pp. 479-480.
- HARVARD COMPUTATION LABORATORY, Tables of Bessel Functions, 1947-1951 Annals, vols. III-XIV, Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- F. W. J. OLVER, "... Evaluation of zeros of Bessel functions...," Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc., v. 47, 1951, pp. 699-712. MR 0043551 (13:283c)
- ROYAL SOCIETY, Mathematical Tables 7, Bessel Functions III, edited by F. W. J. Olver, published for the Royal Society by Cambridge Univ. Press, 1960. MR 0119441 (22:10202)
- G. N. WATSON, Bessel Functions, 4th ed., Cambridge Univ. Press, 1944. MR 0010746 (6:64a)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1978 American Mathematical Society